Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1973 450SL, (Previous 2008 ML350,2002 E320 Wagon, 2000 SLK230)
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been experiencing a true PITA issue with the simple procedure of replacing my front brake pads. First I ordered the pads, received them, and although they were Pagid, they were 17mm thick - too thick for the space between the rotor and fully retracted caliper. I researched and found there were two types of pads - 17mm and 15mm - the difference of 2mm would definitely work for this car. I then reordered a set of ATEs that were 15mm, and went in without issue, except when I was tapping in one of the pins, it bent. When I extracted it and tried to straighten, the tip broke. I ordered another set of pins and upon arrival, they were too short. I measured the old and new and the old was 77mm and the new were 70mm. I'm looking everywhere and now I'm getting frustrated because a simple front pad replacement job that started with ordering parts on March 26, has still left me without a driveable car on May 9.

Has anyone else had the same issues with getting the right brake pads and pins recently? Lastly - does anyone know who specifically has the 77mm pins? I was hoping to avoid a bunch of calls Monday to find them. If I do find a source I'll post it here. Included are pictures of the pins and measurements.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2007 ML320CDI, 1959 220SE, 1971 280SL, 1982 380SL
834 Posts
The earlier cars used a thinner pad. The later models used the thicker pad.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just confirmed that the caliper is an ATE 37R1 Caliper if that makes a difference in the type of pin.

Thanks for the explanation on the pad - makes sense. Also wasn't sure whether it was because the car was a European delivery car (purchased in US, but owner took delivery in Germany).

Attachments

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
I have been experiencing a true PITA issue with the simple procedure of replacing my front brake pads. First I ordered the pads, received them, and although they were Pagid, they were 17mm thick - too thick for the space between the rotor and fully retracted caliper. I researched and found there were two types of pads - 17mm and 15mm - the difference of 2mm would definitely work for this car. I then reordered a set of ATEs that were 15mm, and went in without issue, except when I was tapping in one of the pins, it bent. When I extracted it and tried to straighten, the tip broke. I ordered another set of pins and upon arrival, they were too short. I measured the old and new and the old was 77mm and the new were 70mm. I'm looking everywhere and now I'm getting frustrated because a simple front pad replacement job that started with ordering parts on March 26, has still left me without a driveable car on May 9.

Has anyone else had the same issues with getting the right brake pads and pins recently? Lastly - does anyone know who specifically has the 77mm pins? I was hoping to avoid a bunch of calls Monday to find them. If I do find a source I'll post it here. Included are pictures of the pins and measurements.
did you use a sledge hammer on this , never seen a bent pin , you have to push on the spring clip to align the hole , if you dont it wont go in .now you have 1 pin in , you can drive like that temporarely , just dont use the spring plate , until you get the other pin .

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
the first time when I inserted the pin the outer pad was too far in and I didn't realize it. I was tapping on the pin to push through and it just wasn't going through like the other one was, when i backed it out I realized first the outer pad was inserted too far blocking the pin, and second that pin was now bent. When I attempted to straighten it out the tip portion - about 10mm from the end - broke off. Good lesson for me to ensure alignment of the pads prior to inserting and tapping pins, but bad in causing this frustrating search for the proper part.

·
Premium Member
'72 350SL, '85 300D, '98 E320, '19 Subaru Outback (sold '14 GLK250)
11,965 Posts
Getting the right pads for the early 107s can be a hassle. Several on-line vendors have incorrect pads listed. Especially a problem if the calipers have been changed. The ones for a 72 are different again. They are narrower as well as being thinner and don't have the wear detector hole.

Good you got that part sorted. And at least you now know what length of pins you need. I have seen kits that include new pins and springs advertised, but never realized not all ATE caliper pins were same. Makes sense seeing some are wider because of gap for pads. Odd that you need thinner pads and longer pins!

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Found out that part number 0009911760 is the one I'm seeking. Starting to search, and finding it is a little more difficult to find than originally anticipated - unless there's a replacement part number. Found on one site but seems they're not selling them, but it did show specs and yes - it is the right length. Specs from that site attached.

Attachments

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
OK all - GREAT news. I did find a source for the pins - EXACT measurement and perfect fit(77mm length). Seller was in the EU, and I was so frustruated from searching, I was willing to pay extra for shipping to get the process expedited. It was a bit pricey, but it shipped from the EU - purchased 5/10 at 10am and received 5/14 at 10:30am - well worth it! Jacked up the car, removed the wheel, slipped in the new pin - BINGO - mission accomplished. I moved forward with the remainder of the pads (I still had to conquer the rears). Good news on this was all standard parts fit from my vendor - pins came out, then used the Lisle 29100 pad spreader - it made a huge difference. The rears went in "like butter". Took my first drive and WOW what a difference. In this it is important to note that all of the pads were in a more "dangerous" level of potentially damaging the rotors. Four of the eight pads were under 2mm left - too near to disaster, so it was well worth the frustration to do this task, and know it is done correctly. I am including a snapshot of the part I found as promised in case there are other frustrated 'Benz owners like me who almost came to the point of buying new calipers as they couldn't find pins for ones like mine. I am relieved that I was successful on this scavenger hunt - and found the right part. Thanks all for your contributions!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
OK all - GREAT news. I did find a source for the pins - EXACT measurement and perfect fit(77mm length). Seller was in the EU, and I was so frustruated from searching, I was willing to pay extra for shipping to get the process expedited. It was a bit pricey, but it shipped from the EU - purchased 5/10 at 10am and received 5/14 at 10:30am - well worth it! Jacked up the car, removed the wheel, slipped in the new pin - BINGO - mission accomplished. I moved forward with the remainder of the pads (I still had to conquer the rears). Good news on this was all standard parts fit from my vendor - pins came out, then used the Lisle 29100 pad spreader - it made a huge difference. The rears went in "like butter". Took my first drive and WOW what a difference. In this it is important to note that all of the pads were in a more "dangerous" level of potentially damaging the rotors. Four of the eight pads were under 2mm left - too near to disaster, so it was well worth the frustration to do this task, and know it is done correctly. I am including a snapshot of the part I found as promised in case there are other frustrated 'Benz owners like me who almost came to the point of buying new calipers as they couldn't find pins for ones like mine. I am relieved that I was successful on this scavenger hunt - and found the right part. Thanks all for your contributions!
619 421 3254 in san diego has anything you may need , large MB salvage yard / repair shop .[ oneger co ] know them since the 70 s.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
619 421 3254 in san diego has anything you may need , large MB salvage yard / repair shop .[ oneger co ] know them since the 70 s.
Thank you for the reference - I believe I remember an article on them a few years ago, and of course when I needed them, I couldn't find the link to them. Thank you - I'll remember to reach out to them next time!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts