Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Outstanding Contributor
21,770 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I bought all these tree cars at bargain basement prices in non-running condition, and now I found something else, and the only thing I can really do is unload all of these three cars, maybe even more.

I would really like these to go to a forum member who I could consider a friend and help them bring these cars back to a point where they can be enjoyed.

I currently do not have a transferable title on any of the three, but here's the situation on each, a reason I would prefer to sell to a "friend" if possible:

- 1973 450sl: title in hand but signed by me. Space is open for a co-buyer, or I can pay taxes on the car and get a title in my name. (Edit: got clean open title in my name can be transferred to anyone.)

- 1970 250c: The previous owner has been contacting me to get the title notarized into my name (and get the title out of his name), and I will give him $100 for the title when we do this.

- 1972 250c: only titled once in PA by original (single) deceased owner. Title was lost and the son-in-law (chevelle guy) sold me the car with a bill of sale and I am still in contact with him with an agreement that if the executor of the will can obtain a duplicate PA title, they will do so if I pay $150 plus any applicable fees.

I got some great deals on these cars figuring I could part them out for profit if any of them didn't work out. However, it looks like they can all be roadworthy vehicles, albeit with some rust.

Why am I dumping them? My wife will kill me if I bring home a sixth MB. Maybe I can mitigate the damage if I get rid of three.

Honestly, I am torn about getting rid of any of the three.

The easiest to part with is the 1970 250c that I was pretty close to parting out a few days before I decided to buy a remote starter and them clean the carbs. Rebuilt zenith carbs on these cars seem to fetch over $1200 on ebay, and I'm in the process of cleaning the carbs. I will quite possibly be driving this 1970 250c this weekend. Why is this one hard to part with? Because it appears to have many new parts including a full new exhaust from downpipes back, new shocks, new brakes, and soon Rebuilt carbs. (Carbs are cleaned and I think gaskets/rebuild kit arrives today.) Some of the parts from this car would possibly be helpful in restoring the 1972, which I think is well worthy of restoration. In any case, I think that this car should be worth $1500 since the carbs alone should be able to sell for $1200. If that's what I've got to do to maximize the money and just scrap the car... Well... I guess I can do it, but I would really prefer to sell it as a running restoration project. I was thinking of putting bundts on it because I think I want to keep those lorinser wheels.

Next, the 1973 is fairly easy for me to part with, but I had considered giving it to my nephew in approximately a year when he gets his license. This may still be on the table. This car has some driver floor and rocker rust that needs attention unless the decision is to just drive the car into the ground. It's a pretty damn good looking car, currently sporting the wheels from the 1970 250c because the original steelies were almost all slashed. Yes, slashed. The car was vandalized while owned by the previous Philadelphia area owner. I have brought back almost everything other than: slashed seats (got one replacement, but not the other), keyed paint, and a slashed top (currently replaced with one with cracked plastic windows. maybe packing tape will hold someone over). This car has had an odometer switch and it seems someone fooled the PA title people as the 2008 title says it has 35,000 actual miles. I don't believe it. But there's a lot of bang-for-the-buck in this Mercedes drop top. I was looking for (edit: sale pending) in my pocket on this one, but...

Finally, the hardest to part with is the one I think is not too large of a restoration project, the 1972 250c with some rare options:
- tuxedo paint scheme (not original paint, but repainted in original scheme)
- white leather interior
- sunroof
- white steering wheel
Due to the fact that this one has some bugs to work out, such as:
- an alternator not charging the battery while running (but spare alternator included)
- needs windshield replaced, but one included with car
- rear brake calipers need rebuilt or replacement (some used calipers included)
... I will let it go for $2200.

If someone wants to take all three cars, of coarse I would cut them a nice deal. You can probably find information on all these cars on this forum. I will post pictures later.

Due to some urgency, ANY offer will be considered.

Of coarse if you live in the Philadelphia area, the whole thing would be a lot easier. I can deliver the cars locally, or maybe even drive them to you with a deposit. I have access to a dolly, or can rent a vehicle transport to help with the transportation. NYC - DC is easy for me.

Thanks!

·
Outstanding Contributor
21,770 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
$1500 1970 250c should be running this weekend. Edit: yes. It is running. Drove it around the block.

ImageUploadedByAutoGuide1422049276.938307.jpg
ImageUploadedByAutoGuide1422049310.373292.jpg
ImageUploadedByAutoGuide1422049502.196840.jpg
Rear end damage
ImageUploadedByAutoGuide1422049564.037536.jpg
ImageUploadedByAutoGuide1422049659.246029.jpg
Pretty decent interior. Some cracks in dash, and rips in MBTex seats, but door pockets panels and headliner all well intact.

ImageUploadedByAutoGuide1422049765.113151.jpg
Definitely some paint flaws and a repaint would be nice or plastidip would be fun.

·
Outstanding Contributor
21,770 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
What did you find that has made you decide to divorce your 3 brides? :wink

A five speed overdrive 1985 280sl convertible. I will be keeping the 5.0 SLC convertible too, because it seats five. These two cars I will own a long time. I also want to keep the 280slc 4-speed manual to complete that project. That will likely be years. I've obtained too many parts for that AMG tribute project vision to abandon it right now (including recaros, wheels, spoiler, steering wheel, floorpan, trunk pan, welding setup, lift, etc.). That would be three extra cars. Really two is my long term max. However, long term, I would like something older than a w107, which is why parting with the black w114 coupe is difficult, but... Something's got to give. There's clearly no place in my fleet for the 1973 SL or 1970 250c. I am very very serious about trying to get rid of these three cars in less than a week. Money would be nice to help pay for the five speed, but it's not about the money really. If money was a concern, I would be parting all three cars.

If someone buys all three cars from me at a special price, I'm sure money could be made parting them out. You could part out two to fund the restoration of the third.

·
Outstanding Contributor
21,770 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Would it increase interest if people knew I was very flexible in the prices and I believe my total out-of-pocket costs that I've got in all three of these cars combined is only about $2500 ?

Anyone? Somebody around here must need another project. :D

·
Outstanding Contributor
21,770 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Blue coupe is running. Sure does look nice in this picture, doesn't it? :)

ImageUploadedByAutoGuide1422822484.023226.jpg

And a video of right after I drove it around the block.

http://youtu.be/rYkL8_xn2ak

Next steps:
- roll fenders if I'm keeping those wheels on it.
- keep tuning carbs focusing on the vaccum throttle control next.
- replace burnt wire to the starter so it will not require the remote starter anymore.

·
Outstanding Contributor
21,770 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
1973 450SL.... SOLD! I believe it is going to France.

I feel better now that I have gotten rid of at least half (5) of all the MB I've owned in the last 4+ years (10).

- 1st arrival, 1st gone: 1973 450sl (black w red int.) --> Germany
- 8th arrival, 2nd gone: 1979 280sl (brown w mushroom int.) --> jn74sl
- 7th "arrival", 3rd gone: 1972 350sl 4.5 (tan w black int.) --> parted
- 4th arrival, 4th gone: 1971 250 sedan (white w blue int) --> "Sam the (w114) man"
- 9th arrival, 5th gone: 1973 450sl (blue w red int.) --> France

Currently owned:
- 2nd arrival: 1978 450SLC 5.0 custom convertible (silver-blue w blue)
- 3rd arrival: 280slc 4-speed (blue w gray int)
- 5th arrival: 1970 250c (blue w blue)
- 6th arrival: 1972 250c (black w white)
- 10th to arrive: ??? :D

Anyone want to buy any of these (other than the SLC Convertible)?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Dual Zenith Linkage needed

I need the progressive linkage for my dual Zeniths. Got any spares? particularly the arms that bolt to the block-i have the Solex linkage, and it's too short. Previous owner left me with mismatch quandry...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
About this Discussion
12 Replies
4 Participants
kevbo230
Mercedes-Benz Forum
BenzWorld.org forum is one of the largest Mercedes-Benz owner websites offering the most comprehensive collection of Mercedes-Benz information anywhere in the world. The site includes MB Forums, News, Galleries, Publications, Classifieds, Events and much more!
Full Forum Listing