Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
'80 450SLC Afro RHD Ikonengold
2,857 Posts
That sounds healthy.

Under load, volts can drop to 8 or 9 and that is why the resistor bypass in ignition (to adjust ignition to lower voltage)

·
Outstanding Contributor
450slc5.0cab 280sl5sp 280se4.5 500seAMG +250seStkW108 350sl4spdX3 500secEuro
22,152 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
I know I had a bad ground, but I wonder if trying to crank with spark plugs in just the left (US driver) side was a horrible idea. The guy I bought the car from said it cranked slowly.

So I thought it was the starter after a slow crank with no plugs. And then melting wires and not cranking when I put four plugs in.

Amateur. :(

Lessons learned.

I can’t wait to try it with all 8 plugs next. It’s just soaking wet out there now. I washed some wheels in the soaking rain, ...

and also get the rear end on wheel dollies to be able to slide the car over. Once my 5.0 SLC Convertible is out of the garage and driveway...

, I should be able to let the car roll down my driveway a bit to line it up with the scissor lift and back it in. This will be the first time I ever put a car on the scissor lift backwards. Hopefully it’s not an issue. The rear end rolls as it comes up. So it’s probably better to have more weight over the front than the back. I guess I can just move the whole lift closer to the engine to balance it better. That thing always scares me a little.

And I guess once I get this thing running and driving, it will probably go in here for storage while I focus on getting rid of some of the less special cars I’ve got.

·
Outstanding Contributor
450slc5.0cab 280sl5sp 280se4.5 500seAMG +250seStkW108 350sl4spdX3 500secEuro
22,152 Posts
Discussion Starter #23

At least I’ve got it in the garage and can see the slave cylinder now.

But now that it is inside, I can forget about it. So I can’t promise that anything other than curious it’s and desire helping me make any progress on this one. I’m close to where I want to be with only two MB at home now though.

21 - 23 of 23 Posts