Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Outstanding Contributor
450slc5.0cab 280sl5sp 280se4.5 500seAMG +250seStkW108 350sl4spdX3 500secEuro
21,996 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, it’s a V8 stick shift, and it’s an SLC. Sure, might as well create a thread for it.

Title says 1974, but I believe it to be a 1973 with a plastic coolant overflow (started in early 1973 models) and a dash clock (ended in late 1973 models) bottle and this information:

In a barn in Indiana, a tornado supposed collapsed the roof and there was an auction (recently) some time after the tornado incident, which broke both the front and rear glass. My friend from Chicago bought a car from another forum member in NYC and would be driving East with an empty trailer. So I was able to get “shipping” done very inexpensively. Still, this could be the most expensive parts car I’ve ever purchased, yet it’s got plenty of valuable parts to assure that I at least break even, and increases my inventory of parts and pieces for the gazillions of projects I’ve got going on. No, it doesn’t have an “I know exactly what I’m going to do with this one”, but the parts values alone justify the purchase.

The AMG front lip, BBS 15” wheels, Euro bumpers (including a built in trailer hitch that will be very easy to setup for my kids’ bike rack) work to justify the purchase for me, and that’s before the decent interior, random parts AND the v8 manual setup. The d-jet 3.5 is the same setup that’s used in a low grill 3.5 w111 coupe too. So it’s got its own value. The v8 manual flywheel alone is a $900 item from MB, the only source without taking an original flywheel somewhere to get replicated. So having even just that around as a spare is good. The transmission should bolt right up to the 450slc 5.0 motor and any 4.5 (like the euro 4.5 I’ve got in my garage). Drive a v8 manual 107 after living with the auto box or even a 6 cylinder manual, and you’ll be hooked. You can actually feel the torque! ;) 3.46 rear end doesn’t hurt either. :D

Here’s an example of my 350sl 4-speed sounds and feels like:
Sure, that has a US 4.5 in it, with more torque, but less power than a euro 3.5. I imagine it should be noticeably better on a euro 4.5 (~25/35 more HP than the 3.5/US4.5), and even better in the 5.0.

Having this car opens up a few more possibilities for other projects.

I’m not sure where this project will take me, but I should “restore” the drive line since that’s what this one is all about. Besides a few rusty spots, it’s not a terrible eyesore while I make sure everything is in good shape in the car. It’s got spark, but the starter is really weak, and this wiring was melting just after I cranked the motor.

The camshaft oiler tube is floppy around at the oil filler, and many other issues... So...

- valve covers come off to inspect TC and Camshaft parts

- starter comes off for testing / replacement. It cranks incredibly slowly, even with the spark plugs out.

- find out why that wire was melting (just due to bad starter?)

- free up the sticky throttle linkage

- compression test

- find out why hydraulics (brakes + clutch) are empty, and get them working. Fortunately the e-brake works to keep the car from rolling around.

If I get all the above done, and the car is running and driving, I will be forced to face the decision of whether to put front and rear glass in the car. Both the front and rear windshields were apparently broken in the tornado.

That’s it for now I think.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
R/C107 Moderator
1986 560SL: '84 500SL: '84 280SL 5 speed: other 107s
31,760 Posts
Why no mention of the Zender spoiler? ;):LOL:

I noticed the license plate. Is it badged 450SLC? That 5.0 Badge looks like it's in great shape.

·
Outstanding Contributor
21,996 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Why no mention of the Zender spoiler? ;):LOL:

I noticed the license plate. Is it badged 450SLC? That 5.0 Badge looks like it's in great shape.
I’ve already removed the zender spoiler (less than 24 hours after @baronyoungman delivered it for me on his way to get @RJMBurgess ‘s last vintage MB and a pile of pre-merger parts he had.

The Zender spoiler just helps the car cover hold water, and I don’t like it. So, “bye bye” Zender spoiler. I’m tempted to pull other parts off the car, like the wheels and AMG front spoiler, but figure that can wait. I’m kind of afraid of the mess it might create. So... “patience...”

It appears a previous owner wanted the car to appear like more than it was, adding the 450slc and 5.0 badges. Dgosh28’s 5.0 that I now own was a badge delete car but now has a 450slc badge and no 5.0 badge. I’m not sure exactly what it should have. So for now I’m going to keep that 5.0 badge in case I decide I “need” it. (Read: “Hoarder”)

I was a little sad to learn that the deck lid was not an aluminum one. I was after a magnet before I even finished saying hello to Bob after he drove 14 hours.

Long story, but I thought the car had another 4.5 in it. I misjudged the picture and had some misinformation about 3.5 cars having round air cleaners unlike the 4.5 cars with the flattened back. Apparently only w111 3.5, early w108/109 3.5 and early w109 300sel 4.5 all came with the round air cleaner before it was “replaced” or updated for all to the style used on the 4.5 cars. I was very pleased to see the car has what appears to be the original m116.982.

I am pleased with the interior condition too. I’m not sure that I will be able to use it for anything though... unless I come across a good SLC body to “re-chassis” this car. If anyone spots a cheap rust free manual climate control, small bumper SLC, maybe I could use it to restore this one. Maybe.

·
Registered
'79 450SL, '04 CLK200 convertible; former A124, W210, A209.
1,103 Posts
Another great project Fonzi, I just commented on another thread you ought to start a YouTube channel.

Not sure what was the price tag for this gem, but if all else fails I'm certain you can recoup the costs in parts alone. Some of that stuff, like trunk badges, are priceless. (y)

·
Outstanding Contributor
21,996 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Another great project Fonzi, I just commented on another thread you ought to start a YouTube channel.

Not sure what was the price tag for this gem, but if all else fails I'm certain you can recoup the costs in parts alone. Some of that stuff, like trunk badges, are priceless. (y)
Yes, too rare to pass up really, and with the wheels and front spoiler, that provides some additional items to push me over the break even point, assuming free labor.

YouTube channel? Well, I can’t imagine how much time it would take to make my videos look professional. Currently I just use YouTube to document stuff and share things that are much easier to video than picture. I try to keep my videos under 2-3 minutes because they upload in a reasonable amount of time. Bigger ones seem to fail too often. That enough effort for me. Feel free to subscribe to what I’ve got. https://www.youtube.com/user/mknmike

·
Outstanding Contributor
21,996 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
First sub-thread for this car: camshaft hair, what is it?

·
Outstanding Contributor
21,996 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think these fuel hoses that were in the way of removing the valve cover were original. In their defense, it was very cold today.

Definitely going to want to replace the tensioner and check the chain for stretch. The guides look like original metal-backed guides.

·
Outstanding Contributor
21,996 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Removed the AMG front spoiler and the full body bling package.

The tow hook was visible under the AMG lip, and now I see how. Tow hook extender. Never seen that before!

The tow hook setup has some fairly crude looking bolts through the trunk floor. I would hate to do that to one of my favorite 107’s like my SLC Convertible or the 280sl 5-speed, but I guess if it enables me to drive the cars more often because I will be able to carry bikes on the back, I guess it makes sense...

The idea is to maybe move the whole rear bumper and hitch to one of my cars, setting aside the car’s original bumper to return it to the current condition.

·
Outstanding Contributor
21,996 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Fonzie,
It sounds like you are going to use the euro bumpers.... if not I would be interested in buying them.
Doug
Sorry. I’m not parting it out yet. Despite the rot, I want to make this thing run and drive, and possibly not look like a total eyesore.

The rear bumper with the hitch setup is definitely not for sale, nor is any part of the drive train. These manual v8 setups are just way too hard to come by.

I may put the wheels up for sale though. I just removed them from the car today.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts