Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, the car is a 1973 220d, fuel pump is working and all new fuel filters. I got fuel to the injector pump and if I remove the preassure valves fuel pumps in, but with the preassure valves in place no fuel squirts through.
I need some help understanding how the injector pump works and how those preassure valves work. It seems to me that there isnt enough preassure to raise the pistons against the springs in the valves and ged fuel through, but I don't know. Any insights on the injector pump/preassure valves would be appreciated.

·
Registered
4,103 Posts
Hello everyone, the car is a 1973 220d, fuel pump is working and all new fuel filters. I got fuel to the injector pump and if I remove the preassure valves fuel pumps in, but with the preassure valves in place no fuel squirts through.
I need some help understanding how the injector pump works and how those preassure valves work. It seems to me that there isnt enough preassure to raise the pistons against the springs in the valves and ged fuel through, but I don't know. Any insights on the injector pump/preassure valves would be appreciated.
What was the original issue?

·
Outstanding Contributor Always Remembered RI
52,804 Posts
Welcome to Benzworld, I see you are in good hands there.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
There wasn't an initial issue, I just got the car and am trying to get it started. The last inspection sticker on it is from March of 2003, so its sat for quite a while. Before that it supposedly ran great. Tires of course need replaced and rotors are stuck, but for right now I am just trying to get it to fire up but so far no fuel.
Like I said, filters changed, pump working, and I got fuel all the way to the injector pump, and when I removed the valves you can watch the pistons in the injector pump working and they fill with fuel, but with the valves in place its as though the pump dosen't have enough preassure.
I'm new to how diesel pump injectors work.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What was the original issue?
Wow just found this old post I posted two years ago. Now the car has sat even longer. It had been at my father in laws before and he finally towed it over to my house and gave it to me so I will have more time to work on it. I never got much help last time I posted this, does anyone have any advice on how the fuel injector pump works and why it would seem to work but just not have enough pressure to open the injectors?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts