Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
72 350SL, 90 560SEC, 09 X5 diesel, 21 GMC Sierra 1500
1,138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally getting my feet wet in the 107 world. Its a great feeling so far

Purchased a 72 350SL Black over Red locally, 85K miles, 2 owner car with the last owner having it 41 years. Fair bit of maintenance history. Recent work done on cooling, fuel and brake systems. New tires all round and fresh fluids. Provides a solid baseline.

Super excited to get to know the car a bit better. Drives really well and pulls strong. Cosmetically i am very happy. There is some items i will need to address

Car starts and drives well, Transmission is smooth, I notice a slightly rough idle when in gear not moving. Could need some motor mounts by the feel of it - Still need to dig through it a little more.
Notice the blower fan never seems to turn off, Its running albeit slowly even when knob is turned to off
Turn signal stalk doesn't like to start in right or left position
Trunk has some paint imperfections. Will need to be redone.
Soft top plastic windows are dark in color and left side has a tear - Shame as the canvas top is in excellent shape
Couple of small dents to try and get PDR on
Interior original Becker Radio not putting out any sounds but appears to power up, Needs lights too.
Front left Fog light glass needs replacement
Complete deep cleaning and detail will be done

Can not seem to locate the Data Card either - not in the trunk or under the seats. If anyone has access to send me the options listed for my car i would very much appreciate it.

VIN - 10704412003711

Couple of pics.

Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
1989 560SL
253 Posts
I love it! Black with red interior is a combo that owns my soul. Hubcaps and small bumpers to boot.
I have number 4560 with build date 10/71. Makes me think yours must be around August. Very early. The crew was nice enough to get is drivable for me last month and I gotta say I am stunned by how different it is than my 1989 560SL. Feels lighter and sportier. I had been fortunate enough to have access to a 1968 250SL the last few months, and the 1972 feels much closer to that than I ever would have thought before.
I think you made a good choice and hope you enjoy every moment in it.

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Jeff. Looked at quite a few SL's over recent weeks and this color combo had me the minute i saw it in person.
My build date is 03/72
I will say it does drive very different from the 560's i looked at. Not in a bad way just a much more analog feel.
Plenty of little items i will enjoy looking into.

·
Premium Member
'72 350SL, '85 300D, '98 E320, '19 Subaru Outback (sold '14 GLK250)
12,618 Posts
Can not seem to locate the Data Card either - not in the trunk or under the seats. If anyone has access to send me the options listed for my car i would very much appreciate it.

VIN - 10704412003711
Don't know of any way to get the card for older benzes. The discussion on the Pagoda forum linked below sort of sums things up.

• You search your car in likely spots including any manuals or other paperwork (mine was in the maintenance and/or warranty booklet),
  • You pay MBUSA $150
  • You ask friendly dealer for VMI that has same information (then get datacard created by one of the sources in this link, if that is important.)

By the way, as discussed before, the card is not that important. But a bit moreso in your case because the plate on the crossmember behind the rad that has some of the info, is missing.

·
Registered
1974 450SL; 1961 Besasie X-3 (being restored)
1,814 Posts
Beautiful car! I think the hvac fan runs on low all the time the ignition is on, unless there is an actual "off" position. Send your radio and external amp (if it has one) to Becker in NJ. It will come back like new. You might need a new turn signal switch--or maybe just a new flasher.
Welcome to the asylum. There's a lot of 107 knowledge and fun here. Just don't be rude or easily offended.

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Beautiful car! I think the hvac fan runs on low all the time the ignition is on, unless there is an actual "off" position. Send your radio and external amp (if it has one) to Becker in NJ. It will come back like new. You might need a new turn signal switch--or maybe just a new flasher.
Welcome to the asylum. There's a lot of 107 knowledge and fun here. Just don't be rude or easily offended.
HVAC Fan runs all the time? That's a new one for me. The Fan setting is switch to "0" Still getting used to the controls. My model did not come with A/C.

I have used Becker NJ before, Top quality results. I will likely reach out to them if i cant figure this one out myself.

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

By the way, as discussed before, the card is not that important. But a bit moreso in your case because the plate on the crossmember behind the rad that has some of the info, is missing.
Thanks for the Link. Yes i will go through the paperwork today and see if i can find something. I will am sure i can get through it without having a Data Card but it sure would be nice.

I may take a drive down to the dealer when they open back up and politely ask for a VMI. Not had much luck with that in the past but maybe they would make a consideration due to the age of the car.

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Happy to welcome another D-jet owner! Love the black with red. Mine is silver with red. Andy
Silver over Red - That is an amazing combo.
Will have to get familiar with the D-Jets system. Thankfully to much info here.
Thanks

·
Premium Member
'72 350SL, '85 300D, '98 E320, '19 Subaru Outback (sold '14 GLK250)
12,618 Posts
I would like to explore this option, I know in the UK 107 owners have done it. Not seen to many stateside.
I am sure it can easily be done if the canvas is first removed. But that in itself is quite a challenge. I have read about owners hand sewing new windows in. Takes some old fashioned skills! Found the link! Some pictures missing, but Bereng may still be here. Oh, he posted a link to his site:w107 / windowSTReplace

It may be less expensive to buy a new top and install it yourself than pay someone to do this! But an old-time sailmaker or canvas/leather shop may be able to do it.

·
Registered
72 350SL 4.5, 78 350 Euro, '86 500SL
127 Posts
Very nice early 4.5L car. Great condition. Interior looks really nice. Seat covers are probably original though the headrest covers have been replaced. Your console is in really nice shape. I wouldn't worry too much about the options as all the early cars are pretty standard. Not sure it will be worth the $150 if you can't find any other records since all it would probably confirm is the color is 040 black.

Bit of a self-serving plug since its my project, but if you want to see where it fits in to a number of early cars, you can always check the SL Registry for the '72 cars. I did not have your car in the system.

For the top, probably better to just replace the entire thing. Hand stitched windows won't look nearly as good as those in a new one and probably at the end of the day you won't save much as anyone wroth paying would probably charge $300 to do the window replacement. Worst case, canvas might look nice but you'll do the windows and then within a month the old canvas will rip. Or you'll have these sparkly windows and what looked like nice canvas will suddenly look as old as it really is.

And the blower should only run when you turn it on. My turn signal stalk is a little gimpy as well. I'd suggest just living with it if it still signals. Replacing it is a pain (in my opinion) and I do believe the early cars stalk is not the one you can commonly get.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts