Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1980 300SD, 1987 300SDL, 1973 280SEL, 1995 C280
137 Posts
That's a nice example in seemingly pretty good condition but the buy it now price is ridiculous. I would say the current bid of $15k is much closer to the real value. Will be curious to see where it ends up.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Interesting Article

Please see attached jpeg of the SL Market Newsletter from May of 2012. This edition features the 6.3 and depicts a chart of value based on condition. It is my opinion that this car being auctioned on ebay is at worst a 2 on a scale of 1-6 with 6 being the worst condition. Since a 6.3 in perfect condition could be valued at $90K+ and a "2" is $45K, this particular specimen is valued appropriately and the "Buy it Now" price is, in fact, realistic.

Attachments

·
Registered
1980 300SD, 1987 300SDL, 1973 280SEL, 1995 C280
137 Posts
From on your initial post I thought you were just telling us about an interesting car on Ebay. Based on your username here and the Picasa account name, I see now that this is your car. It's bad form to criticize someone's for sale listing so I apologize to you for that. Ultimately, a car is worth what someone will pay for it and we'll see what the auction brings.

·
Registered
1966 250SE Cab, 1989 500SEL euro
3,570 Posts
As an owner of a 1971 6.3, I think that $50,000 is downright insane pricing. Only way to know is to see if it sells; I'd bet $100 on "not".

·
Registered
Way too many
692 Posts
It's bad form to criticize someone's for sale listing so I apologize to you for that.QUOTE]

OMG !!!!!!
Could it be that a true gentleman has invaded our board !!!!
I tip my hat to you and yes, what ever price a buyer will pay and a seller will sell is what that one car is worth to that one person on that single day.

Of course the usual... "If I want to sell it it's worth a lot but if you're selling it and I want to buy it, it's worth nothing..." -- pretty much standard form across the board in just about every hobby.

Kind Regards,

Ron

·
Registered
1982 500 SEL 126 V8 Euro Model; Engine type: 117961; tranmission: 722350
563 Posts
My 2 cents as a former importer/owner of a euro 69 6.3 and a euro 71 6.3 both which later sold here in the U.S. at the time 6.3's were at the peak of their values for a max price of $10K for immaculate more rare and powerful euro 6.3's. Speculators going wild IMO! and amateurs at best; pulling up car value books and newsletter values which only purpose is to sell copies of valuation books means nothing. What anyone ultimately pays is the real value of a car although I must say sometimes some poor souls trying to cash in in the speculation fever get taken to the cleaners.

·
W201, W212, W221, & W222 Moderator
'84 Euro 500SE, '85 Euro 2.3-16, '51 Euro 170S, '97 Jeep Wrangler Sport, '15 G63 AMG
8,506 Posts
It's been listed on CL before for a price of $8000 here locally.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Response

I think that a couple of you hit it on the heah when you said that value is determined specifically by what someone is willing to pay. Contrary to one statement made, When it comes to classic cars in above average condition and relatively low production units, value rises as supply falls. (Creating an increased demand. This car is one of not very many 6.3's in its condition in the country. Therefore, there are less this year than last. And less last year than 2 years ago. You get the point. It's common sense.

The model was a flagship for MB. It was the first time they put the limo engine (6.3) into a sedan. The car is the first example by MB of class/luxury combined with extreme power. (Like most of you, Ive driven this model. It would blow your mind.) This alone, makes it a worthy find for any MB enthusiast.

As far as 50k, thats a buy it now and is intended to be an option for someone who has to have the car and wants to avoid any auction. 90% of the time, items dont reach the buy it now.

One last thing, this car has NEVER, and i mean NEVER been posted on CL for 8k. I know that for a fact. Any suggestion otherwise is completely false. Please let me know if anyone ever has this model in this condition on craigslist or ebay for 8k. I'll buy it sight unseen. These cars are worth far, far more than that.

I can say with confidence that whatever price is paid, the next owner of this car will cherish it. It's an amazing piece of German engineering.

That's all. Thank you all for your interest.

·
W201, W212, W221, & W222 Moderator
'84 Euro 500SE, '85 Euro 2.3-16, '51 Euro 170S, '97 Jeep Wrangler Sport, '15 G63 AMG
8,506 Posts
One last thing, this car has NEVER, and i mean NEVER been posted on CL for 8k. I know that for a fact. Any suggestion otherwise is completely false. Please let me know if anyone ever has this model in this condition on craigslist or ebay for 8k. I'll buy it sight unseen. These cars are worth far, far more than that.
Someone was selling the exact same thing, a '71 300SEL, 6.3L, same exterior and interior color in Alamo Heights about three-four months ago. Price was $7900. Either someone took pictures of YOUR car, or had the same thing and let it go for cheap.

At any rate, I hope you get what you're asking for it.

·
Registered
1966 250SE Cab, 1989 500SEL euro
3,570 Posts
As a Texan, I also thought that this ebay car was the one for sale in San Antonio (I remember that car well), but I thought that San Antonio 6.3 had a black interior.

·
Premium Member
16v 5sp;500e wagon ;w109/3.5,6.3;560SEL;500SELAMG;500SECAMG;500SLAMG 5-sp;993 C4S;Z3Mcoupe;others
182 Posts

The car is a condition #3. Maybe even lower depending on documented services performed. The fuel system and suspension system on these particular are finicky, especially when let sit.

Good luck with sale nice color

Kushal

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Suspension and Maintenance

The suspension was completely redone recently and sits up for about a week after driving.

The car has been maintained and taken care of better than most children. I have detailed maint. history dating back to 1988. There is also a mileage log and the car had 14k miles in 1988.

2 original owners. Under 100k original miles.

I guess this is what makes a market. Bulls and bears. Factually, however, I've seen these cars in worse condition with higher miles go for 40k+. Right, wrong, or indifferent ... I've seen it. And they only become rarer every day.

·
Registered
Many MBZ, Couple of 911s, couple of pick ups
758 Posts
interior pictures

Why are there no pictures of the interior.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Pictures

Pictures of the interior can be found in the Picasa web album. Just click the large photo that looks like a slideshow toward the bottom of the listing.

·
Registered
1982 500 SEL 126 V8 Euro Model; Engine type: 117961; tranmission: 722350
563 Posts
Without offending anyone IMO $40K is doubtful without specific verifying documentation; best 6.3's sold have been at Hatch & Sons but nothing that high; after having owned 2 6.3 euros and one 6.9 AMG euro from own experience 6.3's are unique vehicles but as with all MB rarities weakest links in rear ends, transmissions very expensive FI pump replacement and air suspensions on such old cars require fat wallets. BTW up to spec set 6.3 air suspension stays up for at least 90 days or more according to my manual.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts