Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
71 R107 350 SL. 03 Nissan 350Z. 07 Merc C200
637 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having found damp carpets both sides after rain when stationary,
I have established that it is coming through the air inlets.

The 'open' part under the mesh drains fine to the bottom of the doors, however, when water falls on the convex 'covered' part beneath the mesh towards the outside of the vehicle, its default line is backwards towards the corner of the screen where it then enters inside the door, runs down into the 'sill' carpet.

A solution would be to park facing downhill!

Is this a desigh fault or am I missing something?

Thanks in anticipatiopn.

·
Registered
500SLC #2624. Black on Black.
5,120 Posts
Having found damp carpets both sides after rain when stationary,
I have established that it is coming through the air inlets.

The 'open' part under the mesh drains fine to the bottom of the doors, however, when water falls on the convex 'covered' part beneath the mesh towards the outside of the vehicle, its default line is backwards towards the corner of the screen where it then enters inside the door, runs down into the 'sill' carpet.

A solution would be to park facing downhill!

Is this a desigh fault or am I missing something?

Thanks in anticipatiopn.
Steve, I've been having a similar problem with the SLC, so I look forward to hearing what others have to say!

BTW, will have all your bits on Monday. Sorry it's take a few days longer than I'd hoped, bloody post is slow at this time of year.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Steve, I've been having a similar problem with the SLC, so I look forward to hearing what others have to say!

BTW, will have all your bits on Monday. Sorry it's take a few days longer than I'd hoped, bloody post is slow at this time of year.

Fancy meeeting you here in The USA Shane...looks like the only reply...and from just down the road too!
Best
Steve

·
Outstanding Contributor , Bob's Your Uncle!
-----'83 280 SL----- 5 speed....The PIG
29,498 Posts
Fancy meeeting you here in The USA Shane...looks like the only reply...and from just down the road too!
Best
Steve
I got caught in the rain 2 summers ago.

For a week.

And I had a damp boot, but that was it.

That's the only real rain my SL has been in since I've owned it.

·
Premium Member
1984 380SL, 1973 450SLC
2,174 Posts
Hello 4wsboy and Fotografa, sorry I'm a little late, just got out of prison, no internet there you know. Anyway, I just went out to the slc in the back and cannot believe that there is no drain at the center of the vehicle twards the heater blower compartment,just the ones that drain into the wheel well as you described, and I would have lost money on that bet, but there doesn't seem to be anything, except an area that would allow approx one liter of beer to collect until it would start to contact the seal area of the fresh air vent. I have some pics, and I believe that you could install a drain into the engine compartment, and have it look almost original. It would require some rubber tubeing, a drill bit, but also the removeal of the vent grates and the blower motor cover at the least. maybe. see the attached photo's and let me know if it is something you might consider and I will try to make a template of the firewall and a location to drill. I wish I could send you the rest of this thing, you two would utilize it to the max, I'm just useing it to advance my MB knowledge...

Just another thought, do you know if your vents are closing all the way, would be easier to determine through the vent grids,????
I can remove all the mechanism and see what the 75 slc looks like for you to determine if maybe the seals are faulty.. just another thought, here's the pics

Attachments

·
Registered
1976 450 SLC. (working, in need of paint)/1987 300E/1989 635 CSI/2004 Honda Element (appliance)
142 Posts
Drains

In that area, there are 2 drains right next to the blower compartment that get covered over in crud, but there are also 2 drains that are part of the ducts. If yougo to your center console and lift the carpet by the pedals, you will see 2 hoses that will drain your ducts. These also are known to collect crud, or get really old and ratty, and fail. If any of these 4 fail (clogged), you will have mysterious wet carpets.
Way to check, is to remove the center cover for the blower fan in the engine compartment, and look outboard of the blower fan (there are going to be some sheet metal divisions. the hole is going to be just at the corner outwards of the divisions, on each side.... Sorry, if this sounds vague, but once you get in there, you will see what I mean) towards the front of the car. Right at that corner, you can see a hole (sometimes). To test it, just take a liter or so of water and pour it slowly through the vents. Slowly as not to put more water on your carpets.
If it is blocked, then patience is required. It took me a couple of hours to unblock mine, and I did it with compressed air, a long piece of vacuum tubing, attached to my compressed air trigger, and lots of getting wet, and dirty....
Now for the others.... I took the piece off from inside the car, and replaced them.

·
Premium Member
1984 380SL, 2000 BMW Z3
392 Posts
More Drains

Kinda off the front drain subject, but the other day after getting my car from the shop and I washed it, I went to gas up. Notice the gas filler compartment was full of water. Got home, wicked the water out and found the drain. Got a coat hanger and really had a hard time pushing it through. Felt like I was hitting something solid, but finally got it thru and exited just behind the wheel well. Didn't see anything inside the trunk so maybe I didn't ruin anything.

·
R/C107 Moderator
1986 560SL: '84 500SL: '84 280SL 5 speed: other 107s
32,330 Posts
In that area, there are 2 drains right next to the blower compartment that get covered over in crud, but there are also 2 drains that are part of the ducts. If yougo to your center console and lift the carpet by the pedals, you will see 2 hoses that will drain your ducts. These also are known to collect crud, or get really old and ratty, and fail. If any of these 4 fail (clogged), you will have mysterious wet carpets.
Way to check, is to remove the center cover for the blower fan in the engine compartment, and look outboard of the blower fan (there are going to be some sheet metal divisions. the hole is going to be just at the corner outwards of the divisions, on each side.... Sorry, if this sounds vague, but once you get in there, you will see what I mean) towards the front of the car. Right at that corner, you can see a hole (sometimes). To test it, just take a liter or so of water and pour it slowly through the vents. Slowly as not to put more water on your carpets.
If it is blocked, then patience is required. It took me a couple of hours to unblock mine, and I did it with compressed air, a long piece of vacuum tubing, attached to my compressed air trigger, and lots of getting wet, and dirty....
Now for the others.... I took the piece off from inside the car, and replaced them.
So, there are drain holes on the inner side of the flap area that drain into the blower compartment? Never noticed.
Won't help in this situation. He is referring to the outside.

·
Registered
1976 450 SLC. (working, in need of paint)/1987 300E/1989 635 CSI/2004 Honda Element (appliance)
142 Posts
Close...
The drains are in the flap area, but you get to them by taking the cover off the blower.
They just happen to be right next to the division between the blower motor compartment and the flap area, to the front of the car. You really cant see them from the grill area in the flaps, but if you take a mirror, you can clearly see them if you open up the blower compartment in the engine.
I Did not see any other drainage at the outer edge of the flap area, so I do not know how the water would get in at that point, unless the R word is present.:eek:

·
R/C107 Moderator
32,330 Posts
Thanks. I have a '72 out there with the entire area open. I will try to get a pic tomorrow for everyone.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Close...
The drains are in the flap area, but you get to them by taking the cover off the blower.
They just happen to be right next to the division between the blower motor compartment and the flap area, to the front of the car. You really cant see them from the grill area in the flaps, but if you take a mirror, you can clearly see them if you open up the blower compartment in the engine.
I Did not see any other drainage at the outer edge of the flap area, so I do not know how the water would get in at that point, unless the R word is present.:eek:
No "R" in there.

I really believe its a design issue..when a lot of water hits the mesh, where it is close to the covered part directly beneath it, it just splashes backwards
to wards the screen. As I mentioned before, it is slightly convex at that point and it can do nothing but run in above the door hinge..

Tnx for intersest and those pics too, going to get blower cover off now, I could feel crud in that area...

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm guessing the handle refers to the MX6?[/QUOT

Sorry, going off topic...

Yep Foto, I kept it from when I was a 'boy' of 40 odd on the MX6 forum (I have had three) This one is fab 130000 K and one prev owner from 89.

·
Premium Member
1984 380SL, 1973 450SLC
2,174 Posts
Well I ventured back out into the tundra, and looked a little further into the drains. Today I took out the vacume, a screw driver to scrape the area, a mirror and flashlight. Funny thing yesterday, I could feel what seemed like a drain, but could never see it.. no mirror and the boot lid still installed. Well today I scraped the area, vacumed out the crap, and low and behold, there it is, a drain. Upon further investigation, noticed a hose through a hole in the firewall, gained access into the cabin area,and there it was, a drain hose from the vent area and it runs down to the tunnel area.. and I must say it is a rather large drain hole and tube. Alot easier to see if the whole dash is removed, but there it is. I hope this helps someone...

Attachments

·
R/C107 Moderator
32,330 Posts
Close...
The drains in the blower compartment and cleaning them has been well documented here. There is a picture of the trans. tunnel where they exit. The drain tubes for the heater box are also shown.

I thought you were saying there are drain holes from the cowl around the flaps under the grills into the blower area. There are none. The area is open on that side to the blower compartment drains.

·
Registered
1987 Mercedes-Benz 560 SL
973 Posts
Well I ventured back out into the tundra, and looked a little further into the drains. Today I took out the vacume, a screw driver to scrape the area, a mirror and flashlight. Funny thing yesterday, I could feel what seemed like a drain, but could never see it.. no mirror and the boot lid still installed. Well today I scraped the area, vacumed out the crap, and low and behold, there it is, a drain. Upon further investigation, noticed a hose through a hole in the firewall, gained access into the cabin area,and there it was, a drain hose from the vent area and it runs down to the tunnel area.. and I must say it is a rather large drain hole and tube. Alot easier to see if the whole dash is removed, but there it is. I hope this helps someone...

Thanks for the pics. The "teat" for that particular drain hose is the rearmost (the right one in my pic) of three found on each side next to the transmission, IIRC.

Good road,

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1984 380SL, 1973 450SLC
2,174 Posts
Sorry but you aint getting anymore pics of this one tonight, or tomorrow from what the weatherman says......:)

·
Registered
142 Posts
I agree that the cowls do not have any other drains except those next to the blower box, so it is still quite intriguing that they are getting damp carpets by the door sill. Only other option that I can think of is that the drains at the bottom of the doors are blocked, and water is overflowing into the car from the door? It would be easy to take a look, as you could just use a bit of coathanger and see if the holes are open or not?
And we are talking convertibles here sans sunroof, sunroof drains, and drain pipes that can corrode, as those generally are the ones that will show the water first.
From my own experience, the drains in the cowl were blocked, and water would come in through the side towards the front of the carpet by the kickpanel. I at first thought that it was the sunroof drains, until I washed the engine compartment, and I had water. That is when I looked closer, and found that my drains were completely blocked with crud, to the point that I could not even see them. After I cleaned them no more water in the carpets, not even towards the kickpanel.
:surrender:

·
Registered
1987 Mercedes-Benz 560 SL
973 Posts
Sorry but you aint getting anymore pics of this one tonight, or tomorrow from what the weatherman says......:)
Yeah, just made what was probably my last quick trip in Benzedrine for 2010, as the snow was just starting down here. Time to plug her in to the battery maintainer switch to the FWD.

Good road,

1 - 20 of 23 Posts