Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
It was fun while it lasted
2002 ML320, 2005 S430 4MATIC RIP, 2010 F150 Crew Cab
11,148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I found a coupe that's not in terrible shape but it needs work. gerkebi got me thinking about classic cars after seen his at the spring meet. I found this one yesterday, on the way home from Louisville. The interior and dash is in surprisingly good shape. Leather just needs cleaning. No tears, rips or cracks. Coupla spots of rust but I didn't have time to check the underside. I seen no rust around the wheel wells so that may be a good sign. Pics:

Attachments

·
11,148 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Does anyone have a source for new or used body parts for this car? I guess you can see it really needs a grille and trim.

·
Administratoris Emeritus
2021 SL770
46,428 Posts
If you're looking for a project, that looks like an ideal candidate. As I always like to say, if the interior and body are solid, the rest is negotiable. Most parts for early 114s are still readily available. 250C is just about my all-time favorite Benz, they are particularly dazzling in white and bright red when it comes time to paint. Make him an offer and get to work! :)

·
11,148 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
A friend of mine owns a car lot about a block down the road. I called his sales lady and she said that the guy that has it is going out of business. The car has a mechanic's lien on it. Also, there were no titles in TN and AL until 1975. I'm sure he'll be expecting to recover whatever he has in it. I bet he's been working on the carb because the breather is in the floorboard of the car.
There's a spot of rust around the left rear tail light and a crease dent above the left rear wheel well.

·
Administratoris Emeritus
2021 SL770
46,428 Posts
Yes, I had noticed the dent in the quarter. Still, it looks clean and probably won't be too difficult to straighten. Dial this fellow up, I'd bet he's rather anxious to get out from under the burden of owning this vehicle.

·
Registered
1998 SL500, 1959 220S, 1970 280SL
777 Posts
From a financial perspective, it will probably be a disaster if the guy gave it to you for free. How big a disaster depends on what is wrong with it that caused someone to walk away from a repair bill, and what else you need to fix. Try to get a test drive so you can at least assess the transmission, brakes, and suspension.

But I agree that it would be a lot of fun to bring it back to life.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts