Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased this beautiful 280 SE. It has 69,000 original miles. When I drove it on the Hwy, it started like skipping or missing? Is it the timing, or fuel problem? Also when A/C was on I could here like a screaching noise. I think it may be a belt. Would I have to replace it or is there a way to lubricate it. I am not a mechanic. I just love MB though. Please advise. This care is in prestine condition. I paid 4K. Is this about right?

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Always check the obvious.<br> <br> Check/clean cap, rotor, plugs<br> Check plug cables<br> Check battery connections<br> Check air and fuel filters<br> <br> Next:<br> Check timing<br> <br> A/C noise:<br> While at idle and A/C running, do you hear a screeching noise? Turn off the engine and squirt 5-10 drops of water on the A/C belt (not on A/C clutch). Start the A/C again and if the sound goes away for a while and come back, your belt is slipping. If the belt is not worn nor shinny, you can probably tighten it. Else replace the belt.<br> <br> If the noise doesn't go away, you might have a bad A/C clutch and have a pro take a look at it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts