Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1987 560SL
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Asking price: $18,500

I am placing my 1970 300SEL 6.3 up for sale. I don’t really *want* to sell it, but I am planning on buying a Porsche 993 Twin Turbo and I do not have garage space (plus the extra cash will help). I will also be selling a 1997 BMW 840ci.

I will not bore you with the propaganda concerning the 6.3 model, rather I will tell you about THIS car. It is a 109 body car, and if you know nothing of Mercedes, this was the large, S class sedan of the late 1960's and early 1970's. It has the bigger 6.3 liter motor than the other 109 cars. It has the air suspension (front and rear). It goes real fast. Everything else is standard 109 stuff.

Exterior color is Red. Interior is black. Wood is tiger.

The car has approximately 130,000 miles. I purchased it in 5/2004 with 114,500. The car has been fully maintained and I have all my maintenance records as well as those dating back to 1990 with the P.O. It is a reliable car that I would not hesitate to drive across the country. I drove it from Atlanta to Dallas when I purchased it, and have made numerous trips between Houston and Dallas with no problems.

The condition of the car is as follows:

Wheels/tires:
Original 14 inch with body color hubcaps. Tires have 14,000 miles on them right now. The original spare tire and wheel is in the car. Toolkit is present, as is the jack.

Exterior/Paint
Paint is in great/fair condition. Some of the panels have been repainted and look really good. The roof, doors, and quarters were not and do not have the same deep red look as the others. I have considered a repaint, which I would do the entire car to do it right. But I know if I repainted the car I would never sell it. There are a few chips in the paint due to typical road use, but there is no rust. There are also a couple of burn marks on door edges from an idiot (not me) with a buffer.

Interior
The interior is in very good original condition. The dashboard has no cracks and looks great. The black carpet is in very good condition, no tears or worn spots. The seats are leather and have no tears, but show the patina of a 40 year old car. The rear seat leather is in very good condition, but seems to be a bit bouncy. The headliner is solid and has no tears. Cargo nets are taut.

The original stereo is a Becker Europa, which I had refurbished by Becker, and had them install a mini jack in the front panel so you can plug in an iPod or satellite radio.

The HVAC system works great, I replaced the original York compressor with a Sanden rotary unit ( a popular thing to do) and the a/c blows cold, and strong as a leaf blower. It is R12, which is what should be used in this car. I replaced the heater lever controls as well, the old ones were brittle.

Wood: The car's wood is in very good condition. The only blemish is on the windshield bow, on the passenger side, where it looks as if the wood had gotten wet, my guess from a leaking windshield seal (no leaks now).

Suspension
Works perfectly. 2 new air bags in 2004 and air valves in 2005. Car comes with all the suspension blocks in the trunk. The car does not drop. Ever. I installed a skid plate kit to protect the VERY EXPENSIVE oil pan and underside of car. Kit is an exact replica of the option offered by MB. A great $500 investment toprotect the car.

Mechanicals
Mechanically, the car is in excellent condition. Engine oil has been changed every 3,000 miles.
Transmission was rebuilt, but being old, and German, leaks a bit out the speedometer connection hole after sitting. Vacuum door locks work, but do not hold vacuum as long as I like. I have never investigated this.

Here are some of the major items I fixed:

Replace 2 air bags
Rebuild speedometer unit since odometer was not working, most likely a worn plastic gear.
Replace water pump

Replace timing chain (preventative)
Replace motor mounts
Replace fan clutch
New gasket kit for injection pump (not a pump rebuild)
Install Sanden a/c compressor, replaced York monster
Install new expansion valve
Replace all 3 suspension leveling valves
Replace trailing arm bushings

New head gasket (plus all associated gaskets/seals) - fix oil leak at heads
Valve job while heads were off
New alternator
Replace front rotors, rebuild calipers, and install new pads

Rod out radiator

Replace suspension air compressor (old one ate itself)
Replace fuel tank sending unit
Replace heater levers
Replace windshield seal
Install 4 new shocks

Radio rebuilt by Becker, added MP3 jack to faceplate for IPod/Satellite

Rebuild transmission

Bottom Line: This 6.3 is in very good original condition, certainly for its age. Maintenance has been performed correctly by professionals who knew what they were doing. Most maintenance was performed by MPH Automotive in Houston, guys who know their stuff. I have used the car since 5/2004 as a routine driver and it is extremely reliable. It is very strong and it drives tight and straight.

I can honestly say I have never had a car or seen a car that gets more compliments. At almost every gas station someone will come over and compliment it. I never thought this would have been a big deal, but over time, it really is nice. This is a great, classic car in a stunning and rare color, and it WILL be noticed.

Price is somewhat negotiable but I will not accept lowball offers. This is not a $9,000 6.3 with torn interior, cracked wood, non-working windows, no HVAC, a suspension that collapses, and a poor running engine.

Feel free to ask any questions.

thanks for looking,

Fred Emmerich

Attachments

·
Registered
2000 e320 4matic
3,401 Posts
beauty. any of the engine compartment?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts