Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
ML320,C230, F250, Bayliner, Mountain Bike, Fleetwood Motorhome etc...
1,836 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well last month I picked up a 1970 250C to fix up and play with. I took the head off the engine and discovered that the engine was beyond what I want to put into it to repair. The head is eroded around the coolant hole and will need to be tig welded. The cylinders need to be bored more that I want to because someone drove it for a while with a bad head gasket. The cam is rusty so I'm not confident in the bottom end either.

I decided to find a later model car and do an engine transplant. Today I got a 1995 C220 that was in a wreck with about 123000 miles that runs good and has a rebuilt transmission.
The original 250C engine produced about 146 hp and the C220 produces 148 hp so I think this will make for a good replacement.

I am going to install the 1995 engine and transmission in the 1970 250C

·
Registered
73 280SE 4.5, 71 300SEL, 03 BMW Z4, 72 Fiat 850, 80 Triumph TR7, 85 Porsche 911
2,280 Posts
Cool!!! Be sure to keep us up with pictures and how you did it

·
Premium Member
1967 250 SL, 1965 300SE lang
3,062 Posts
Hi -

If your goal is to have fun working on a car, sounds like you picked a good example. If your goal is to have a cost-effective W114 coupe, then I think you may be getting into a bit of a mess. There are lots of 114 things that need to be considered, rust not being the least of them. Have fun with your project!
Scott
ps - I would have swapped in either a twin-cam 6 or a turbodiesel...

·
Registered
ML320,C230, F250, Bayliner, Mountain Bike, Fleetwood Motorhome etc...
1,836 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi -

If your goal is to have fun working on a car, sounds like you picked a good example. If your goal is to have a cost-effective W114 coupe, then I think you may be getting into a bit of a mess. There are lots of 114 things that need to be considered, rust not being the least of them. Have fun with your project!
Scott
ps - I would have swapped in either a twin-cam 6 or a turbodiesel...
Well fortunately I got a rust free 114 to start with and rust is not a problem here in Southern California so I'm not too worried about that.
I thought about doing the turbo diesel thing but I don't like diesels. As far as a twin cam would be nice but I got what I got for $600.00 so I'm going with it...
By the way engine swaps are not new to me and I have the tools so, non issue to me...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts