Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
220 D "1970"
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
Should the Instrument panel just pull straight out on my Benz?
I've tried,but it seems to be catching on something on the left side.
The right side pulls out fine by the way.....can't see behind It well enough tho.
I have large hands and is very difficult to reach up from underneath the dash.
Thanks for any help you can supply.

·
Registered
499 Posts
I take it you have a 114 chassis?,it just pulls out,it's gripped on either side by a ribbed rubber strip.Get a plastic BBQ knife,smooth off all the teeth and use it to gently slide down each side of the instrument cluster until it is loose enough to pull out.The oil guage line and the temp cappillary are holding it tight ,so get under the hood and give each of those a little shove into the grommets.It is easy to remove completely if you carefully undo the oil line etc .Later 114's have electric temp guages so it's a bit easier,but i have undone the temp guage before today and left it in the car .Now is the time to repair the lights and the instrument lite adjustor if it is playing up.OH[:eek:)]don't forget the speedo cable too![:I][:I]

·
Registered
1972 220D 4 spd man
12 Posts
My dash lights don't work. I pulled the cluster and had the same issues, couldn't move either side out very far because of attached cables. The bright light indicator works, the e-brake light does, and so do the turn signals. But the instrumentation bulb replacement did not get them working. Any ideas? I've replaced the bulbs, believe it or not without removing the cluster. But once I did learn how, I removed it and re-seated the bulbs and re-checked them. I just don't know what it could be.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
220 D "1970"
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Everyone who responded to me about the Instrument panel forgot (or didn't know) that the (light dimmer control) sets at the very bottom....Thus causing it to hang up.
As you pull foward,also tilt it downwards from the top...should come right out (but not very far).
Now,what I did to get the Instrument lights to work again was this....To the right side as you look at it from the front,there is a lightbulb Inserted there.
Don't ask me why,but if you jumper a hot wire top connector on that bulb....your whole Instrument panel will then light up.
It lights whenever the key is in the on position...off otherwise [8D]

Good luck

·
Registered
1972 220D 4 spd man
12 Posts
The speedometer cable and an oil pressure gauge cable on the left side. You can turn the unit sideways and do quite a bit of stuff but I did have to remove the odometer cable to do anything. My dash lights were out and I removed that VDO dimmer rheostat and just jumped across so the dash lights are on bright when the lights are on. That's a not very bright way to fix it, but I fooled around with that thing for a week, fighting getting that instrument cluster out each time and finally just jumpered from on post to the other and that gave me light on the gauges. That was good enough for me.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts