Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi guys, I am new to this site but had a question that I hope somebody can help me on. I am looking at purchasing a 1969 280se sedan. I was wondering how reliable these cars are and what the maintenance is like before I pull the trigger on the purchase.

The following link is the actual car I am looking at purchasing. Thank you for any help you can provide

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/sfv/cto/3148896277.html

·
Registered
20 Posts
hi guys, I am new to this site but had a question that I hope somebody can help me on. I am looking at purchasing a 1969 280se sedan. I was wondering how reliable these cars are and what the maintenance is like before I pull the trigger on the purchase.

The following link is the actual car I am looking at purchasing. Thank you for any help you can provide

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/sfv/cto/3148896277.html

Link is D-E-D Dead...

·
Registered
1999 E320, 1975 450SEL, 1979 280SE
377 Posts
Link didn't work for me, either. No matter, it's an antique, old car. Reliable if everything perfect. Expensive to make that way. It's no Honda Civic. 280SE not great on gas. But, pretty easy to work on, if you can do it yourself.

·
Registered
1969 280 SE Convertible
108 Posts
What level of restoration ?

Typically these cars will have 100,00 plus miles on them
To make the car a driver requires a lot of work and time
Be prepared to drop a lot of money
Buy a original service manual and do your homework
Take the car to a reliable service center
Test drive, inspect, put on a lift, inspect again
Study these forums, lots of good info
:surrender:

·
Registered
2010 Mercedes E350, 2013 Mercedes E350 4matic; previous1969 Mercedes 280se, 2006 Mercedes C230 Sport
35 Posts
trymev, left you a message.

I have used my '69 280se as a daily driver since November, with absolutely no problems. It only takes about a week of ownership before your fears of it being unreliable subside.

·
Registered
73 280SE 4.5, 71 300SEL, 03 BMW Z4, 72 Fiat 850, 80 Triumph TR7, 85 Porsche 911
2,280 Posts
I have a 108 that runs poorly, and it just never quits (I need to readjust the ECU I think). The engines and ransmissions are bullet proof, and as long as you have half a mind for cars, and a good service manual, fixing it isn't tough. Cars of these ages are still supported by the dealerships, and parts aren't tough to find. Unless you buy an absolute basket case, keeping it in running condition isn't tough.

To "restore" it to something you could win at Pebble Beach with is a different story however. That could become pricey ...

My best advice is to buy the best example your budget will allow, and leave yourself some room for tuneups, new tires, etc.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts