Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1969 Mercedes 250
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently put the Pertronix Ignition on my 1969 250 and ever since the idle has been rough when in gear, to the point where it feels like it might die sitting at a light, it's worse when the car is warmed up. If I put it in neutral it smooths out somewhat. Any idea what might be causing this? I'm tempted to go back to points. It ran fine before I installed the Pertronix. Thanks for any help you can provide.

·
Registered
1969 280 SE Convertible
108 Posts
Injected or carburetors?

If your 250 is fuel injected
There is a cold start solenoid on the Bosch injection pump
Operates on engine coolant temperature
Check it out?
:confused:

·
Registered
1967 250SE (W108)
115 Posts
After installing the pertronix, did you check the timing? Mine was way off after installing the pertronix. Once I reset the timing, it ran great.

Klaus

·
Registered
1969 Mercedes 250
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It has new Weber Carbs and I did time it, seems like the timing was way different than before the Pertronix, but will try timing it again this Thursday, thanks for all the great advise. I'll let you know how it turns out.

·
Registered
1969 Mercedes 250
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well I must have installed the magnetic ring improperly, it didn't line up on the distributor shaft properly and messed up the inside of the ring. Ended up putting points back in and it's running/idling great again. I may see if I can get a new magnetic ring and try reinstalling the Pertronix at a later date. Just glad it's running well.

·
Registered
1967 250SE (W108)
115 Posts
That ring was a pain to get on. I wound up putting a piece of tape on the ring so I could tell where the flat spot was. Made lining it up with the shaft a little easier. Then you still have to push fairly hard to get it seated.
Did you have to grind away part of the bracket that attaches to the vacuum? Mine wasn't letting the ring seat without taking the corner of the bracket off.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts