Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1970 280SEL
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK I’m new to this forum, but take a look at my new ride. I want to put back on the road it’s been is storage for the last 22 years. I don’t really know where to start, but open to any ideas or suggestions.

Attachments

·
Registered
73 280SE 4.5, 71 300SEL, 03 BMW Z4, 72 Fiat 850, 80 Triumph TR7, 85 Porsche 911
2,280 Posts
Pull the plugs one at a time and dump in a ton of WD40 or other similar penetrating oil. This will unstick any cylinder stuck bits. Remove the gas tank and have it professionally cleaned. If there was any gas in there, it's sludgy varnish now. Using clean gas from some sort of gas can, pump a bunch of the clean stuff through the fuel system and make sure all the crud is out of the lines. Replace the fuel and oil filters, and replace the oil. Replace the tranny fluid. To turn the engine over, use a breaker bar and socket and turn the engine over by hand a few times.

Lube everything that you can, and look to replacing the brake lines and fluid. Chances are good that after 22 years, all the brake lines will be shot...

·
Registered
1970 280SEL
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Does anyone have any ideas for a new fuel tank? I found mine with holes rotted thru!

·
Registered
1965 220S, 1999 Volvo V70 (wagon), 2006 Ford Crown Vic Police Interceptor, 72 350SL 4 Speed
1,830 Posts
Fuel tanks from W108's through W113's will fit. A 6.3 tank will fit too and give you extra range as well.

·
Registered
73 280SE 4.5, 71 300SEL, 03 BMW Z4, 72 Fiat 850, 80 Triumph TR7, 85 Porsche 911
2,280 Posts
Older fuel tank from a junk yard might be a good bet. If all else fails, you can take yours to a radiator shop and ask them to repair the old one.

·
Registered
1965 220S, 1999 Volvo V70 (wagon), 2006 Ford Crown Vic Police Interceptor, 72 350SL 4 Speed
1,830 Posts

·
Registered
1970 280SEL
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the help guys!
Please let this be a lesson, if you ever put a car in storage. Remove the fuel first, I can’t even imagine that gas could do what it has done over 22 years. The entire fuel system is a wreck. The tank, and lift pump are both dead. Next I'm working up the lines to the injector pump. But it's now my guess it will be all stuck too. Is there any rebuilding to the injector pump or is that just a replace thing?

·
Registered
64' 220SEc, 72' 300SEL 6.3, lots of parts
512 Posts
fuel system is a big job, not impossible.
Everything must be removed and cleaned.

Fuel tanks at Onagers chula vista 619-421 32554

Remove the MFI pump take the covers off and clean, all insides.
Clean before taking covers off too.
These can be saved before the $$rebuild, chances are it will respond.
There are methods toward proper cleaning and re-install test.

·
Registered
1969 Mercedes-Benz W108 280SE
30 Posts
Hi. Congratulations on your car. I bought a W108 280SE about a month ago. It also stood for a long time, 6 years. Regarding the fuel injection pump, they are very reliable and seem to hold up to the test of time quite well and seem to fail only when fiddled with. We're talking mega bucks replacing the injector pump and they are hard to come by. Its a complicated piece of machinery and everything is finely tuned so don't bargain on your local mechanic fixing it, let alone yourself. Mine was only pumping fuel out of 4 of the 6 outlets leading to the pressure pipes that run to the engine block. I proceeded to phone Bosch and I ended up with a very bad experience with a huge fight over the phone, seeing as I'm only 20 some of the "older" guys don't have time for the "unexperienced problematic youth of today". Anyways he must have had a bad day or what so ever, I decided to open the pump up and have a look at it myself seeing as "nobody wanted to touch the pump or offer me any advice". Took me quite a while to remove it from the car and it was quite messy. Cleaned it up first, A MUST DO, and removed the plate on the side to reveal the "plungers(correction)" and cleaned everything there. Oiled the "plungers" and closed it up. Sent a little bit of compressed air, VERY LOW COMPRESSION, and it seemed to clean itself out. Works like a charm, all 6 outlets "spurt" petrol out by simply turning the system by hand and adding small amounts of CLEAN fuel in the inlet. So my point is, sorry for the long story, what is the problem regarding the injection pump?

·
Registered
1970 280SEL
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
I don’t know any background about the injector pump. Just everything else is all gelled up. So I thought the injector pump must be all stopped up too.
OK I got the fuel pump off and cleaned up, now on to the lines. Is there a special tool to remove the lines from the injectors, and injector pump? It seems to be an impossible fit for an open end wrenches, and especially when you have to get one on the nut and the other wrench on the injector. Maybe take the valve cover off to ease the access?

·
Registered
1983 500 SEC Lorinser 1971 280se w108
1,963 Posts
Fuel lines and injectors all come apart with standard open end spanners no worries^^

·
Registered
1970 280SEL
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just wanted to update my photo, not bad for original paint. It shines cause it's wet from washing, but with a polish and a coat of wax it will look like new money!

Attachments

·
Registered
430 Posts
Wow that thing cleaned up nice, we have the same ride in Havana brown. Good luck with the sweet ride.

Sent from my iPad using Autoguide

·
Registered
430 Posts
Btw my 67 250se was stored for 7 years with a full tank,and I had to rebuild every mechanical component in the fuel system.(ip fuel pump ,injectors ,fuel tank) . Since the ip rebuild is the most expensive save it for last and prey that you don't actually need it ($1500). Good luck, nice ride.

Sent from my iPad using Autoguide

1 - 14 of 14 Posts