Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1966 250sS
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey all!

First all, new to the forum! Finally got a chance to get signed up.

Any who, on with my thread!

I just bought a 1966 250S, well I had it shipped from LA to Atlanta over the weekend. First time driving it today and I have a couple questions that maybe somebody will know. I'm totally new to this game. Very excited to get started and have some fun.

Questions:

Every time I would park the car and turn it off or even sit in the parking lot with it at idle, I noticed a lot of fuel dripping out of the canister from a line hanging off the canister. I mean it looked to be a drain line from the canister but it just seemed to be far to much fuel? I'm not sure if its normal or if I'm doing something wrong? I'd say if it sat for about 10 seconds I would have about a foot or two of a fuel mark on the floor. A nice decent drip coming from that line.

Last question, this one is for sure on the dumb side... the foot thing you press on, like a pump. Exactly what is that for? Just to spray some water or pump up the line? I stepped on it a couple of times and I noticed water was being forced out right by the pedal. Not sure if its just old water collected in the plastic line or it has another purpose.

Sorry for the newb like questions. I literally just drove it today for the first time and I know nothing about the car, YET.

Thanks a ton for your understanding and time! Looking forward to being a member here as I am a member on many other forums for years.

Thanks,

-Stephen

PS - I'll add a few pictures just so you see what I'm working with!

EDIT---
Here two pictures and a video of what I'm talking about with the fuel problem.

--->video~

Attachments

·
Registered
1967 250SE (W108)
115 Posts
Stephen,
Welcome to the forum. Looks like a you found a nice 108!

From which canister is the fuel leaking? There is a compensating canister in the trunk. If that's what you're referring to, I attached a description of it.

The bulb by the drivers foot is for the windshield washer. It connects to tank in the engine compartment. When you press it, it should pressurize the tank to send fluid to the windshield. It also turns on the wipers. It sounds like you have a leak either in a hose or the bulb itself.

Klaus

Attachments

·
Registered
1983 500 SEC Lorinser 1971 280se w108
1,963 Posts
No car ever made should leave a two foot puddle of fuel ont the ground when parked
Get it sorted before you drive the car again!

·
Registered
1966 250sS
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It is the canister in the engine bay. When you open the hood, its directly to the right, down by the bumper kind of. It has a rubber hose hanging off the bottom like its made to drain but it doesn't make since. Too much fuel! Its dangerous level amount. Not sure why when I park the car and turn it off it drips for a little bit.

·
Premium Member
1967 250 SL, 1965 300SE lang
3,063 Posts
Very nice! I particularly like the green interior. I could really use a few photographs of the radiator - I'll send you PM.

·
Registered
73 280SE 4.5, 71 300SEL, 03 BMW Z4, 72 Fiat 850, 80 Triumph TR7, 85 Porsche 911
2,280 Posts
So what on earth is the cannister? A fuel filter? I've never seen one there. I'm pretty sure it's not the vapor recovery tank, as those are located in the back (usually)...

·
Registered
3,783 Posts
I assume the vapor recovery tank is the "charcoal canister"? I would think that's what that is. I have a completely different car, but that's where mine is. Pull the part number off it and search parts.com or the startek epc to find out what it is.

·
Registered
1966 250sS
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I assume the vapor recovery tank is the "charcoal canister"? I would think that's what that is. I have a completely different car, but that's where mine is. Pull the part number off it and search parts.com or the startek epc to find out what it is.
I assume its the vapor recovery also. I checked the gas tank and both the lines that go into the gas tank were cut. this was obviously added in the future.

I'm just unsure why is it making so much fuel to spit out of it. Its a dangerous. the car will sit until i can stop it.

thanks for the comments.

·
Registered
1967 250S, twin Weber carbs, automatic trans, power windows, A/C, R134a conversion
107 Posts
Excellent looking vehicle. I too am a new member with a 1967 250 S W108. I have a full chocolate interior with a black steering wheel. I really like the cream steering wheel in yours. They're too pricey restored at this time for me to buy. Plus, my padded center piece is cracked. Looking for a low cost solution for both now

I don't know about the leaking canister but it needs repair quickly. You really don't want a fire now after just buying the car. It may be hooked up incorrectly to a fuel return line that goes to the rear gas tank. The one on mine is capped off because it is not fuel injected. I do not have this canister in the front.

Good luck and keep me posted as you go along with the car.

Also, get a battery hold-down tray!

·
Registered
1966 250sS
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Excellent looking vehicle. I too am a new member with a 1967 250 S W108. I have a full chocolate interior with a black steering wheel. I really like the cream steering wheel in yours. They're too pricey restored at this time for me to buy. Plus, my padded center piece is cracked. Looking for a low cost solution for both now

I don't know about the leaking canister but it needs repair quickly. You really don't want a fire now after just buying the car. It may be hooked up incorrectly to a fuel return line that goes to the rear gas tank. The one on mine is capped off because it is not fuel injected. I do not have this canister in the front.

Good luck and keep me posted as you go along with the car.

Also, get a battery hold-down tray!
Thanks man! I figured out that the stock carbs had a return line for the fuel and the weber carbs did not have a return line. I just needed to block on the line that went to the back of the car and it solved the problem.

I also love, love the cream steering wheel. really set it off for me. I love the trany shift on the ground a lot too.

·
Registered
1966 250sS
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Anyone know of a recommended company that makes replacement lights for the car?

Like a plug and play lights for head lights, blinkers, break lights, etc... ANY light on outside of the car with out doing work or modding stuff?

I'm trying to find information here on the site but not having the luck just yet. Part numbers and what trusted company to buy from that some of you may have experienced personally.

The original lights are just to old school and need to be replaced. Can hardly see at night when driving this monster.

If anyone see this and has advice, I appreciated it like always in advance and looking forward to hearing what you guys have to say. In the mean time I'll continue looking again on the site and web.

·
Premium Member
1967 250 SL, 1965 300SE lang
3,063 Posts
Anyone know of a recommended company that makes replacement lights for the car?

Like a plug and play lights for head lights, blinkers, break lights, etc... ANY light on outside of the car with out doing work or modding stuff?
You aren't finding any information on that because there is nothing to explain other than replace all of the bulbs. Old bulbs get dim with age. As for the headlights, you can replace them with non-sealed beam Hella, Bosch, etc replacement flat lens headlights that take replaceable bulbs.

Headlight, Hella European, 7" Round Single, H4 | 002395991

Headlight, Hella European, 5¾ Round, H1 Dual System | 002425831

You'll need to do a little more searching, but that should get you started.

Scott

1 - 13 of 13 Posts