Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just recently purchased a 64 220s. Its a automatic with the inline 6. I just went thru and replaced the points, condenser, rotor, cap, wires, plugs, and i converted the Solex carbs to Webbers. I set the points to the recommended gap. I cranked it over and it started up just fine and ran. I turned it off and tried starting it back up 30 mins later and it wouldn't fire. I am getting a spark from the coil and also at all of the plugs. I am also getting fuel in the carbs. I can't figure it out. I was wondering if there is something that i am missing or overlooking. Any help, tips, or pointers would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.
here is a pic. Needs a lot of tlc but she will be nice.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yup. we have gone back thru and rechecked the gap on the spark plugs, the gap on the points, rechecked the firing order, replaced any wires that looked shady. We have started adjusting the timing and we are finally getting some bang out of her but nothing that makes her kick over. We have air, fuel, and spark. We are thinking the battery is toast. So that is going to be the next replacement.

·
Registered
64' 220SEc, 72' 300SEL 6.3, lots of parts
512 Posts
Distributor body must be pushed down to engage drive tang correctly.
it may jump time and still rotate.

do the marks on the crank pulley zero and notches on dist body align with rotor?

You can statically align and it will start.

·
Registered
1965 220SE sedan (finnie) with 450SE conversion, 1964 220SE coupe project, 1966 300SE coupe
448 Posts
That is weird. What could change after you turned it off?
- Do you get a spark at the plugs? If not, the little bolt that clamps the wire from the condenser to the dizzy body may be earthing out - there are little insulating washers on either side of the bolt that need to be there to prevent contact of the bolt with the dizzy.
- If yes, are you sure you didn't take the dizzy cap off and put it on back to front?
- does it try to start with a little 'aerostart' or 'start ya bastard' (yes there is such a product in Australia!)? If so, maybe the carb jets are blocked with gunk?
- only thing left is compression - if the valves are not adjusted right then you will not get the squeeze necessary.
Good luck!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts