Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new to the forum, and I'm considering buying a 1959 MB 180 Ponton.

Anything I should know? This is the email the guy sent me:

"Recent components include the following:

-tires
-master cylinder
-radio restoration
-headliner
-door draft seal
-sill treads
-carpets and mats
-seat belts

Nothing requires immediate attention, its very driveable and reliable as is.
Minor issues include a small ding, some minor wear on the front seat, the
clock isnt working. Interior is in good condition, many items inside have been
replaced. There is some wear, but it looks good. No accidents, all sheetmetal
is still metal (not bondo). Manual 4 spd trans, gas engine returns about 22+
mpg. Cruises at 65. I drove it from 260 miles with no probs
whatsoever. Its reliable and I would not hesitate to drive it anywhere."

Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.:)

·
Registered
90 300 SE ,85 300 GD
1,574 Posts
My first concern would be rust. Many of these older pontons would catch mud and road debris behind the headlamps and there it would stay. When it got, wet the moisture would begin a process of rusting the top of the fenders out. My second concern would be the brakes. This model has drums all around, no discs. Not easy to repair if shot. The brake lines should be clear and not clogged. The heater boxes have brass valves that are often jammed open or closed. Make sure they work. The wiring harness is 50 years old almost. Check it out! Hope this helps.

·
Registered
2017 Police Interceptor Utility, 2017 Police Interceptor Sedan
7,750 Posts
I think that, as with any car nearly five decades old, a good thorough going-over is a good idea.

·
Registered
Mercedes 300te
1,972 Posts
Those are nice cars... I have a few of those too.... By the way what is the selling price if you don't mind... Any pictures?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
He's only asking $4,000 for it, so I figure it's got to have a few issues... no pictures, sorry.

Thanks for the input, though.

·
Registered
Mercedes 300te
1,972 Posts
If its in really good condition buy it. Better to buy one in good shape than buying a cheap one which will end up costing more to fix...I've been looking for a nice one to restore someday. Have all new chrome exterior parts for it already..Just waiting for the right car to come by,...Sounds like the car your describing is in pretty good shape...:)

It will be easier to determine if its a good car with pics. Unfortunately none as you mentioned. Try to get some pics too.. It will be some help..

I just parted out a 180 a month ago...body has quite a bit of rust already...Collecting parts even before the car arrives...:) Been collecting a few years already...

·
Registered
1959 220S cabriolet, 1983 240D original owner, 1999 E300 turbo diesel, 1988 560SL, 2003 SLK320
3,513 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
OK, he sent me some pictures...

http://www.pangolin4x4.com/mercedes180web/images/DSCN6857.jpg
http://www.pangolin4x4.com/mercedes180web/images/DSCN6864.jpg
http://www.pangolin4x4.com/mercedes180web2/images/DSCN6887.jpg
http://www.pangolin4x4.com/mercedes180web2/images/DSCN6886.jpg

And Len- I just discovered MBZPonton.org yesterday- great site! I'll check out the Ponton Group as well- thanks.

I'm sorta new to the vintage Benz thing (I did drive a '69 for about 6 months- it was on loan from a family member)- so forgive me if I ask a ton of obvious questions.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
90 300 SE ,85 300 GD
1,574 Posts
There is a flex disc at the end of the drive shaft. If you feel some vibration from the rear I would put it up on a rack and take a look. The brake lines can start to weep around the brake cylinder seals at the rear when the rubber begins to crack and dissolve. This would be a good time to check and be sure they are not leaking. It sure doesn't look like a rust bucket.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Again- thanks for all the info.

Does anyone ever put disc brakes on these? Is it similar in cost to doing so an an American classic?

What about custom, hidden radios?

·
Registered
Mercedes 300te
1,972 Posts
Its a 1960 model. Based on the pictures.Check on the lower rails of the car they are known to rust..

1 - 11 of 11 Posts