Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2002 SLK230
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys,

I joined here a while back....bought my car with 7,500 lease miles on it.

I bought it then changed the crank pulley to the ASP version, also reflashed to take advantage of the higher boost.

I've owned it for over 12-13 years and it has only once stranded me....a idler pulley at around 80K.

I still have the original MAF.....I remember everyone telling me "You'll replace that in 45K".....nope.

I have replaced the ignition key cylinder(my fault), 1 water pump (not my fault) ....that's it.....and every single feature on my car works as it should.

Last winter at 190K, I decided to invest a little elective work so I had a local guy replace the 3 mounts(2-motor, 1-trans) and 4 struts and a couple of other things.

I replace brakes w/rotors and I replace tires 4 at a time.

For those that aren't sure....with the Michelins Ultra-high performance tires, I can shred a local exit ramp at 80mph with zero noise but when I went to high performance All Seasons(Yok's) I INSTANTLY lost 20mph.......big difference with really good tires!

I was disappointed that he fitted "sport" struts as they are so stiff but I love this little car.....absolutely love it!

Good lucks guys.....

jeff

·
Registered
1998 , SLK 230
228 Posts
I agree, I've had mine for nearly 14 years and love it- "a jewel of a car" as Bazzle used to say.
I'm starting to get really long term age problems- like fatigue cracks in the dashboard- but they're fixable and now I'm retired I have plenty of time to look after such things.

·
Registered
2001 SLK 320(217K Miles), 2002 E320 Special Edition(183K Miles)
3,464 Posts
Beat you on miles. I got I my 01 SLK320 in 2004 with 42K miles and it now has 217,300 miles.

My first MAF lasted about 70K miles, but the second one is still good after more than 140K miles. Roof hydraulics still working leak-free, although the roof liner was replaced about a year ago - seems like the Texas heat disintegrated the foam backing, causing the liner to droop.
Most expensive replacement was the brake master cylinder. My fault since I got the brake fluid and hydraulic fluid bottles mixed up. 😖 Also had to replace catalytic converters on the 1 side and muffler. Replacement cats were supposed to be cheap "refurbished" units from dealer, but they were in fact brand new. Lateral accelerator sensor at about 100K. Accelerator pedal/sensor at about 120K. Front windscreen replaced due to a large stone crack. Other preventative/maintenance replacements: Idler pulley, shock absorbers (once), front rotors (once), front disc pads (once), serpentine belt (once), tires (3 times), 1 HID headlight bulb, 2 brakelight bulbs, 1 side marker bulb.. Oil and filter changes are strictly done by FSS, normally between 14K and 17K miles. Auto Gearbox oil changed once at 200K miles.

It still runs very good and no CEL present. Passes smog check easily each year. Front windscreen probably are due for replacement again to sand-abraded micro-pits in the glass which tends to cause glare. The car was always parked outside, about 2 miles from the ocean, for 13 years, but is still totally rust-free.

·
Registered
2002 SLK230
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Bazzle, Bruce & was it Bullwinkle that posted all the early repair modules? & a few others, immortalized in the Sticky's.....the SLK-Mentors for many of us in the earlier days.....lol

Congrats on the 217K..........I admit, I cheat on the Emissions tests.....I have to or it will fail. Oil will get on the MAF and toss a code, thus would fail......so a week before I take it, I clear the code(I know the car has to be driven for a while bf taking it) then before running it, I stretch a piece of tee-shirt cotton across the last horz joint from the intercooler be removing the MAF with it's front tube. I reconnect the works together and drive gently for 10 miles, 15 iggy starts or so bf going up for testing. Works for 4 years now, two tests.

jeff

·
Registered
1999 E430; 2005 ML500
1,522 Posts
Sounds good. At 192K I would pre-emptively replace the voltage regulator with brushes, or just the brushes.

·
Registered
2001 SLK 320(217K Miles), 2002 E320 Special Edition(183K Miles)
3,464 Posts
Sounds good. At 192K I would pre-emptively replace the voltage regulator with brushes, or just the brushes.
My moto - If it ain't broke, don't fix it. 🙂

1 - 6 of 6 Posts