Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
'04 G500, '00 E55 AMG, '90 300TE 4Matic, '82 240D
1,951 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a question that all these expensive "reference" books never talk about. The wheels available on the 190SL, aside from the standard steel wheels and those weird lightweight ones on some of the race cars ive seen were there ever any period correct bolt on wire or knock off wheels available? Through the dealer or aftermarket? I seem to remember seeing some knock off wheels on a 190 some years back but it's possible they were a custom job or a 230SL accessory. any info is appreciated, thanks!

·
Premium Member
1967 250 SL, 1965 300SE lang
3,062 Posts
I had a question that all these expensive "reference" books never talk about. The wheels available on the 190SL, aside from the standard steel wheels and those weird lightweight ones on some of the race cars ive seen were there ever any period correct bolt on wire or knock off wheels available? Through the dealer or aftermarket? I seem to remember seeing some knock off wheels on a 190 some years back but it's possible they were a custom job or a 230SL accessory. any info is appreciated, thanks!
I would ask on the 190SL group forum. I've never heard of any knock-offs. But besides that, with the decreasing choice in 13" tires, aren't 190 SL owners more likely to go for a 14" wheel at this point?

·
Registered
64' 220SEc, 72' 300SEL 6.3, lots of parts
512 Posts
Get a set of those 14" aluminum wheels from the diesel car of the 80's, I put a set on a 280SL with new Bilstein's and you can't believe the ride quality. Whew too much,,,

·
Premium Member
1967 250 SL, 1965 300SE lang
3,062 Posts
Get a set of those 14" aluminum wheels from the diesel car of the 80's, I put a set on a 280SL with new Bilstein's and you can't believe the ride quality. Whew too much,,,
The aluminum wheels that look like steel wheels weigh 11 pounds each instead of 23 pounds each. Switching to those wheels by far at the most bang for the buck of anything you can do to improve the performance and handling of your car. They will _not_ accomdate the beauty trim ring found on the 190 SL (or 230 SL and early 250 SL) but they can be modified to accomodate the dog-dish center hubcaps.

You can eventually find the 5 1/2" wheels in a junkyard over time. The 6" wheels are extremely rare. I'm pretty sure I have them all. :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts