Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
350SLC, 500SLC, 300TE, 190E2.3 Sportline
687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The rear speakers on my recently aquired 1990 190E 2.3 Sportline need replacing (due to failed foam surrounds). Australian delivered Benzes of this era got Eurovox sound systems and the speakers also appear to be Eurovox. The rears only look to be about 4" or 4.5". I'm sure a 1992 180E (190 1.8) I owned for a short time had larger rear speakers than these, more like 6".

My question is, not having removed the speakers as yet, what size rears does the W201 series take? Is it reasonably simple to go larger? I would prefer 6" or 6.5" over the smaller ones if they will fit.

· Registered
190 2.3-16
59 Posts
I put 6 x 9 Sony X-plod's in my rear deck. Hopefully, the pix will attach to this post. ...

I put 6 x 9 Sony X-plod's in my rear deck. Hopefully, the pix will attach to this post. If not email me & I'll send you pix on how they fit.[:eek:)]

Attachments

· Registered
190 2.3-16
59 Posts
Whooops, wrong pic. That was the preliminary fitting that I did. This pic should be the ...

Whooops, wrong pic. That was the preliminary fitting that I did. This pic should be the one.

Attachments

· Registered
'85 2.3-16 '99 C280 '11 GLK350
4,803 Posts
6.5" is about the biggest you can install without having to cut any metal (although not a ...

6.5" is about the biggest you can install without having to cut any metal (although not a big deal) in the rear deck. Fitting the 6.5" will require moving the speaker pretty close to the rear window, so be sure your speaker grills clear before cutting the hole in the deck.

· Registered
C36 AMG - ML430
210 Posts
Pat,

Those Xplods match your Sportline interior [8D] That looks great! Why don't yo...

Pat,

Those Xplods match your Sportline interior [8D] That looks great! Why don't you post some more pics of your car?

Regards,

Don

· Registered
190 2.3-16
59 Posts
Because it is not completed as of yet.

Patience my friends [:p]

I have a few more...

Because it is not completed as of yet.

Patience my friends [:p]

I have a few more things to do to it before I post any pix of it. Don't want to spoil the surprise [:eek:)]

· Registered
687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the replies

Thanks for the replies.

Next weekend I will have a look at it and decide what I will fit.

· Registered
687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
New speakers are in

Fitted new speakers on the weekend. I picked up a pair of Kenwood 6.5" on special. It was a simple job to remove the rear shelf (after removing rear seat) and enlarge the holes for the larger speakers. I did not need to cut the metal as the speaker magnets did not go that deep. The new speakers sound great and have surprisingly extended bass. The nice plain grilles reveal a hint of the blue cones that match my blue leather Sportline interior. I got that idea after seeing how the red matched the interior in Pat's car.

· Registered
2008 Xterra Off-Road
510 Posts
Wow, Pat, I can't believe you got those in there without cutting? Are you sure? I can't ...

Wow, Pat, I can't believe you got those in there without cutting? Are you sure? I can't get 5.25'' speakers in the rear of my 300E without cutting!!!

One time when german engineering was not at its finest... [:(]

· Registered
'85 2.3-16 '99 C280 '11 GLK350
4,803 Posts
I don't think that Pat said he didn't "cut" and if you look at the first pic you'll see th...

I don't think that Pat said he didn't "cut" and if you look at the first pic you'll see the clearance cut for the magnet. If you're leary of cutting the rear metal, another way of getting 6x9's in the rear deck is to use mounting grills that raise the speakers enough for the magnet to clear, but you do have the visual effect of those humps in the back.

Check out Scotty-C's "Tech 7" where he used a Honda Accord speaker grill to mount 6x9's.
http://www.scotty-c.com/

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.