Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1991 190e 2.6
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey all,

I'm a new guy here, Ajay Mann, and i bought my first car, which is a 190e 2.6 1991 and it is in mint condition. I read a lot of threads about w 201s to cure a little problem that i had in my car, it was a vibration that could be felt in the passenger cabin and it felt as if there was loss of spark, or arcing on the electrodes, or a miss fire, something wrong with my exhaust, vaccum lines and everything related.

I read a lot of forums and threads related to the slightly rough idle these cars have. The CIS injection system might produce some little vibrations which are only noticeable if you keep a glass of water on the dash board and look at any ripples being formed (thats how perfect i wanted mine to be).

Firstly i checked the mounts )they're good )check for engine play in gear and idle, it was very well mounted, so didnt bother to change them.

secondly, i changed the fuel filter, wires, rotor and dist cap, still no big difference. PLugs i tried were BOSCH HR9DC and NGK TR5... there is no big difference in these ones. Both work very well, and produce enough spark. The mixture setting in my car is still factory so didnt bother there as well.

I changed all the fluids except the anti freeze, which is due this winter. but that not even related here.

So back to the vibrations, i tried different gas stations (to check difference of gas source) - didnt work.

I got new injectors as i had a leaky one, which was the reason i had a bad hard start, now fixed.

everything possibly that i could do, i did. But today i solved my problem as i discovered the cause of it.

This vibration was caused by a misfire because of presence of condensate water in the intake manifold. Now water can condensate over the years, and is causing an interference with the burning mixture, causing the little stumble. The water in my case came from the fuel line, i dont know how, but since water is heavier than gas, it settles down in the gas tank, but can cause problems in the fuel distribution system.

So i put some seafoam through the little 3 mm vaccum line on the intake manifold... and the seafoam has the thing to kick out moisture, and my exhaust started kicking out moisture, i had a 3 ft dia spot of water below the exhaust, exhaust was spitting water in drops. I just put a little bit and it made a huge difference. So i got some more and then added a whole bottle to my gas tank, when the gas tank reserve light came on to ensure concentrated mixture, added 5 litres of gas and drove around 20 minutes at high revs. no more water from the exhaust now = and no more vibrations. So i guess the problem is finally solved.

So many posts on a lot of things, but this one worked for me. The EHA, OVP, and everything else is working well. Please try this if you have some of those vibrations... WATER in the gas tank is ignored and cause some of these problems.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1991 190e 2.6
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
use any type of fuel stabilizer that can kick out moisture and water.... Best is to clean the gas tank, but i dont have time and tools to do that, so get some hydrophobic fuel additive, and add it to the intake mani fold and the gas tank.... Drive for some time and it should make some difference.

Atleast you're gonna rule out the problems caused by moisture

·
Registered
1991 190e 2.6 automatic
760 Posts
there you go.. i always keep telling people to use SEAFOAM every 20,000KMK

i put one can every 20,000KM and i put another can and run it through my intake lines

Not only moisture my friend, but carbon deposits... i doubt the moisture is what caused it.. more likely carbon deposits that are making an engine run uneven,

btw my engine is so smooth, you can touch the steering wheel in D and you will only feel a "fluid " like touch, no vibration at all.

·
Registered
1991 190e 2.6
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeh man, It does cure some of the stuff if used properly, I didnt use a lot of it but just about 200ml in the intake, Didnt want to spoil my AICV, i cleaned it before i seafoamed my car.

My car has become so smooth now that, you dont feel anything in the car. The idle in N, P, D and R is just like a luxury car should be, no irritating vibes anymore.

The exhaust in my car was spitting water once i added seafoam to my gas tank and intake manifold. I'm pretty sure there is condensate water in people's cars, The cheap gas and everything makes a big difference.

Of course, people buy 93 octane gas but who knows what it is ?? So a good cleaning is important, i'm going to seafoam the car once before i drive to ontario with my parents, but otherwise the car is awesome. Starts at a dime, cold starts are awesome, idles smooth. and expels the moisture well enough.

I need some help on one more thing. I need to lower my car and have a new set of head lights. Any ideas on where to get OEM quality head lights and coil springs ? And how to do the job on the suspension ?

·
Registered
'87 190E 2.3 Manual, '81 500SEL 4whl SLS, '91 300SEL
1,757 Posts
I'm a big fan of DEPO Euro style head-lights, they can be had on eBay brand new for between 150-200 dollars, depending on who you're purchasing them from. I think H&R makes a lowering kit for these cars, B&G makes them, too.

·
Registered
1991 190e 2.6
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Any idea what the cost of getting lowering springs installed professionally ? I've never done any suspension work before, i mean on any car... I dont exactly know how to take out springs, and change the bushings while i'm at it.

·
Registered
1991 190e 2.6 automatic
760 Posts
Any idea what the cost of getting lowering springs installed professionally ? I've never done any suspension work before, i mean on any car... I dont exactly know how to take out springs, and change the bushings while i'm at it.
there is a good coil spring compressor that you can buy for 200 bucks

it works on a lot of benzes.. any benz that has the coil and shock seperate pretty much

and with the tool you can do the job much easier... if you don't have the tool you can put a jack on your control arm and jack it up until you compress the spring, then take out the bolt and slowly lower the jack uncompressing the spring... i think thats how you can do it on the back safely.. but the front i'm not sure if you can do it with a jack.. never done the springs on my car actually lol!! i ripped the engine apart many times, but hardly done much suspension work on my car... thats actually one of my next projectts.. gonna get bilstein sport shocks and 1 inch lowerd.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts