Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Registered
2003 CL55 AMG, 2019 C300W4, 2020 GLC300W4
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For the past several months, my 190E (178K miles) blower fan has been chirping/squealing loudly, although it was still working. Finally stopped working altogether the other day. I was pretty sure that it stopped due to an electrical problem, but since my intention was to get around to replacing the blower fan anyway, I figured I would do this first.
Bought the MB blower motor and squirrel cage complete unit and my buddy and I replaced it the other day. As stated in previous threads, this involves the removal of the plastic leaf mesh at the base of the windshield, the wiper arm, and pulling back the bulkhead behind the motors just a few inches (so the wiper motor/linkage assembly can be removed, and the new blower unit installed).

While trying to remove the clip holding in the blower motor, I wasn't careful enough, and wound up breaking the plastic shoulder that the clip snaps on top of. Please see the following photos which show the fabrication we did in order to make sure the clip would firmly hold the new motor in place. This involved drilling some small holds and using two screws to hold the clip in place. It worked fine.

After putting everything back together again, the blower was still not working. As I suspected, there was an electrical reason for this.

I discovered that the reason the blower would not work was that the blue 25A fuse was blown. It's not in the normal fuse center, but rather in a separate black fuse holder just forward of the fuse center. See photos of the fuse block and the blown blue 25a "GBC" fuse. I replaced the fuse and the blower is now working like new again, strong and quiet.

Attachments

· Registered
'84 190E 2.3 (my girlfriend's car)
47 Posts
Thanks for posting this. My fan does the chirping and squealing too. Guess it's just a matter of time before it goes. Maybe the fuse blew because the fan finally bit the dust and somehow shorted. ??

· Registered
'89 190E 2.6
64 Posts
Awesome! I had the same problem when I replaced my motor...nothing happend... Can't wait to try this out... I figured it was the fuse but none were blown in the fuse panel... Why would they seperate these two fuses?

The world may never know...

· Registered
1991 190E 2.6lt; 1998 E320 Wagon 4Matic; 2007 E350 4Matic; 2004 C240 4Matic
141 Posts
I just did mine a couple of days ago. All I can add to the great posts already is that when taking out the wiper linkage take off the additional 3 bolts that attach the wiper motor to the linkage and the bolt to the bell crank arm and the wiper motor can be left behind. It is easy and it makes removal of the linkage a snap. I cleaned and lubricated the motor and am hoping to get another year out of it. However, if not ,after having done the job it won't take long next time. I read that the trick to getting the squirrel cages off is to drive the shaft out of the cage and not to pull the cage of the shaft.
There are 8 clips on the heater blower housing,I didn't see two of them initially and spent way too long trying to get the housing off. I think you can do the job without removing the six screws that hold the center firewall in place...I removed them and spent too long getting them back in. Be careful releasing the large clip that holds the motor in place. My fan wouldn't work on the first two settings but now spins freely and working great!

· Registered
1985 Mercedes Benz 190E
8 Posts
I'm having trouble with my blower not working at all also but as I looked at your photos and then checked my car, I do not have the small fuse block with the blue fuse that you do. There is no block, no bracket or even holes to mount one...whats up what that?! My car is a 1985 190E 2.3L automatic.

· Registered
96 E-320, 91 190E, various and sundry Euro and American vehicles
12,141 Posts
Finished mine 2 days ago. The biggest issues I had were getting that clip back over the fan motor and clipped back on. Also aligning the motor makes a difference in balance of the motor. I found that out over some time and reinstalling the motor multiple times.
I chose to use a motor without new squirrel cages. Getting the old ones off took some time until I used the hook side of a crow bar against the inside of the cage and tapped it with a hammer.
It took too long but I was being overly cautious. 3 hours +

I wanted to re-lube the wiper motor while I had it out and never could figure out how to get the casing apart to do so. Finally I gave it up..
Yesterday was tie rod ends. I took the tie rods out and to the bench. Today sometime I am going to make an attempt to remove the ends. They look like they will be an issue getting them separated . Any clues?

aardvark

· Registered
267 Posts
If anyone remembers i hade weak and squeeky blower motor syndrome aswell.. well the car has been sitting for a while. Now i got nothing... it was on its last leg would you guys bet on it being dead or wiring issue of some sort? i checked in the center console all the wiring for the regulator are fine...

· Registered
267 Posts
Its already snowing weekly in cleveland i drove all day with no heat... luckily i have a second car which i hate putting miles on...its been squeeky for over a year.

So if i get to the motor and its dead it will be locked up? doesnt sound right. Im thinking about pulling it and just testing it right of the battery like you would a starter solenoid...

· Registered
96 E-320, 91 190E, various and sundry Euro and American vehicles
12,141 Posts
No it won't be locked up but the bearings are shot. You can physically turn it, but it will be tight, compared to a new one that spins free. The motor is drawing too much juice, and trying too hard to spin. Mine fooled me and on occasion would start up again on occasion. It is also possible that a fuse got blown from the excessive draw, but it doesn't matter. The motor is shot.
And then again, your situation could be different.

aardvark

· Registered
1986 190E 2.3l 8v
5 Posts
I'm having trouble with my blower not working at all also but as I looked at your photos and then checked my car, I do not have the small fuse block with the blue fuse that you do. There is no block, no bracket or even holes to mount one...whats up what that?! My car is a 1985 190E 2.3L automatic.
For the past several months, my 190E (178K miles) blower fan has been chirping/squealing loudly, although it was still working. Finally stopped working altogether the other day. I was pretty sure that it stopped due to an electrical problem, but since my intention was to get around to replacing the blower fan anyway, I figured I would do this first.
Bought the MB blower motor and squirrel cage complete unit and my buddy and I replaced it the other day. As stated in previous threads, this involves the removal of the plastic leaf mesh at the base of the windshield, the wiper arm, and pulling back the bulkhead behind the motors just a few inches (so the wiper motor/linkage assembly can be removed, and the new blower unit installed).

While trying to remove the clip holding in the blower motor, I wasn't careful enough, and wound up breaking the plastic shoulder that the clip snaps on top of. Please see the following photos which show the fabrication we did in order to make sure the clip would firmly hold the new motor in place. This involved drilling some small holds and using two screws to hold the clip in place. It worked fine.

After putting everything back together again, the blower was still not working. As I suspected, there was an electrical reason for this.

I discovered that the reason the blower would not work was that the blue 25A fuse was blown. It's not in the normal fuse center, but rather in a separate black fuse holder just forward of the fuse center. See photos of the fuse block and the blown blue 25a "GBC" fuse. I replaced the fuse and the blower is now working like new again, strong and quiet.
Hey sorry I know this thread is old, does that extra small blue fuse thing have a name? I can’t seem to find it on my car. Thanks!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.