Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

190E AUDIO HELP

1115 Views 5 Replies 1 Participant Last post by  Guest (MBNZ)
Hi I am looking to redo the sound system on my 1986 190E 2.3-16. The stock speakers front and rear are 4' each. What is the largest speaker I can put in the stock locations especially in the front and how do I do that? I know the later models have 5.25' in back so can I put that or even 6x9' in back? Also, how do I add two subwoofers in the doors like the later 1992+ 190E with active bass? Do I need the door panels and what else? Thanks very much.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
36,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I cut bigger holes in the back and got 4x6s in there. Can't fit much bigger because of the metal under the rear shelf. I am going to keep the front at 4's so I can use the stock speaker grilles and so I don't have to cut up my dash.

· Registered
36,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
OK... this is whatI did... I bought a high powered in dash FM / CD, replaced stock wpeakers with Infinity speakers of the original size, I added a small amp in the trunk with a bazooka subwoofer tube. They also put frequency limiters on all of the replacement speakers so they would not overdrive with bass. In addition, I removed the first aid kit liner. Doing so lets you get more benefit from the tube in the trunk. Otherwise, the fuel tank muffels the bass response. The results was really nice... good clear highs and mids with just the right amount of bass kick.<br> <br> I would not suggest cutting into your back window panel or doors. Remember bigger is not always better. Quality does wonders<br>

· Registered
36,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have been planning on getting infinity 4's for the front... Ted, what model speakers did you get? How do they sound (I'm more interested in the front, since I've already replaced the back). Right now I have the fader more towards the back because the stock speakers distort and just really sound bad.

· Registered
36,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's been about four years and I don't remember the exact series but there were not that many options in that size. ( I would check my paper work but my son has the car at college along with all of the service history and reciepts) I think they were about 60.00 for the pair. The whole system I mentioned above cost around 700.00 including a 3 year service waranty. The tube really makes it nice too...not a boom-boom wagon but just the right amount of kick

· Registered
36,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My bazooka tube died :( It just pops and crackles, I think the amp is somehow fried. I haven't messed with it for a while because it doesn't make enough difference to worry about it, and I didn't pay for it, so.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.