Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1991 Mercedes 190E 2.6
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello all.

I have 1991 190E 2.6 and every time I start the car, on the first crank, it seems like it want to start but then dies. The first crank has a nice soft engine sound as if it's about to go all the way then it dies out as if there's no gas.

Usually, the second crank will start fine but sometimes engine stutters and dies and then requires a third crank holding the key down a few seconds longer. It doesn't matter what time or temperature of the day; if engine is off for couple of hours, it starts the same way.

I've checked all vacuum hoses, those that I can see with the air filter housing removed, and they all seems OK, no cracks or leaks. There doesn't seem to be any kind of fuel leak; I don't see any tell-tale signs.

Replaced the following based on suggestions:
OVP Relay
Fuel Accumulator
Fuel Pressure Regulator
Fuel Pump - 2 of them
Fuel Filter

Running out of ideas. Please help :)

·
Registered
1989 190E 2.6
118 Posts
Betty was the same way from the day I got her. Come to find out, the problem was the OVP Relay behind the plastic piece behind the battery. The fuse was blown, but the whole thing needs to be replaced.

·
Registered
1991 Mercedes 190E 2.6
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for the reply. The OVP was the first device I replaced and that didn't solved the issue. Sorry for not listing that in my post.

·
Registered
1992 190E 2.3 Auto
83 Posts
Mine somehow has something similar :confused::

-Starts right up after few days with no use
-Starts right up if re-started after has been driven
-Has to crank for 2 seconds when it's cold and has been driven the previous days.

From I have been reading on the forum looks like it's a fuel accumulator issue, but I haven't started the troubleshooting. I will start replacing the fuel filter since I don't know whet the PO replaced it last time.

·
Registered
1991 Mercedes 190E 2.6
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Mine somehow has something similar :confused::

-Starts right up after few days with no use
-Starts right up if re-started after has been driven
-Has to crank for 2 seconds when it's cold and has been driven the previous days.

From I have been reading on the forum looks like it's a fuel accumulator issue, but I haven't started the troubleshooting. I will start replacing the fuel filter since I don't know whet the PO replaced it last time.
Check your fuel pressure regulator first. Pull vacuum tube off the rubber at the regulator side and see if there's fuel. If fuel comes out, even just a tiny bit, that's your problem. Don't start replacing expensive parts unless you're absolutely certain.

I spent hundreds already replacing most of the fuel components but the problem still persist. The only thing I haven't replaced yet is the fuel distributor and injectors.

I have a yukun xl and it had hard start; usually 3-4 cranks then it starts. The fuel pressure regulator leaked fuel from the rubber side and after I replaced the regulator, starts first time.

·
Registered
1991 Mercedes 190E 2.6
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Try depressing the accelerator and releasing it before you crank. Don't know why this works.
Tried this trick after couple of hours later. Depressed the accelerator all the way down couple of times and it started right up; held the key couple of seconds on longer. I will try again in the morning...this will be the real test.

Thanks for the tip. I appreciate it.

·
Registered
1991 Mercedes 190E 2.6
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
have you checked your fuel pump check valves. one for each pump. check your CSV too.
Fuel pumps are new(Bosch) and they came with check valves already in them.

How does the CSV come into play? Is this the kind of problem you see if CSV is failing? The car start the same way regardless of ambient temperature.

·
Registered
98 SLK230K AMG, 98 E55T, 89 2.5-16
213 Posts
How does the CSV come into play? Is this the kind of problem you see if CSV is failing? The car start the same way regardless of ambient temperature.
i was thinking of the coolant temperature, not ambient. the CSV is dependent on the reading of the coolant temp sensor. it operates on a temperature range, not just a certain temperature point. if i recall (and someone correct me if my memory no longer serves me) the CSV operates up to 45C or 50C not sure which now. so as long as the coolant temp is within that range it should provide assistance to start the car.

regards,

·
Registered
1992 190E 2.3 Auto
83 Posts
Check your fuel pressure regulator first. Pull vacuum tube off the rubber at the regulator side and see if there's fuel. If fuel comes out, even just a tiny bit, that's your problem. Don't start replacing expensive parts unless you're absolutely certain.

I spent hundreds already replacing most of the fuel components but the problem still persist. The only thing I haven't replaced yet is the fuel distributor and injectors.

I have a yukun xl and it had hard start; usually 3-4 cranks then it starts. The fuel pressure regulator leaked fuel from the rubber side and after I replaced the regulator, starts first time.

Hi Javelin, I'll try that as well, thanks for the advise :thumbsup:. Yes agreed with you I don't want to start replacing components as a troubleshooting, and BTW they are expensive..

·
Registered
1991 Mercedes 190E 2.6
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hi Javelin, I'll try that as well, thanks for the advise :thumbsup:. Yes agreed with you I don't want to start replacing components as a troubleshooting, and BTW they are expensive..
I've checked 4 out of the six injectors that I can pull out to test and found 2 injectors not spraying well;stream instead of mist. Instead of replacing just those two, I've replaced all six with new injectors.

My benz now starts with one crank. :D

·
Registered
1992 190E 2.3 Auto
83 Posts
I've checked 4 out of the six injectors that I can pull out to test and found 2 injectors not spraying well;stream instead of mist. Instead of replacing just those two, I've replaced all six with new injectors.

My benz now starts with one crank. :D

That's good news, I took the vac line on my regulator a no gas in the vacuum side. I've used also seafoam and somehow the crank time is now is reduced.:surrender:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts