Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know I'm doing this in reverse order, I should have gotten opinions and advice FIRST, and then go buy a used Benz. But, I messed up and let mu daughter test drive a 1986 190e 2.3L that was for sale.

We were 85% in as far as buying the car, but I had one last source I was told to check, a local MB mechanic and overall guru, and I asked his opinion and he told me to run as fast and far away from the 2.3L model. That the 2.5L was okay but that I would have nothing but trouble witht he 2.3L

But, I was unable to convince my daughter to not get the 190e and we had no other cars that we thought were worth buying, and she had been promised a car by Friday - so I relunctantly bought the car just because I couldn't stand to see her crying so hard that she was convulsing.

So... I am now looking for help or ideas and tips on what to look out for and trouble areas/signs to look at for and what maintenance I should do.

For example, what type motor oil do I use?

Would like to hear from others on their opinions or experiences with the 2.3L 190e. This was a 1986 with 158,000 miles on it. Had this other MB mechanc look it over and test drive it - said it still had plenty of compression and power and that the transmssion was super smooth. Only problem is an ooil leak from front of the valve gasket - it leaves drippings on my driveway and if we drive the car for a while it starts to burnoff on the hot engine and smell and will smoke a couple of minutes after stopping.

That's it for now, but would like to hear from others and thanks in advance!

·
Registered
291 Posts
Hmm. I don't think that you should be concerned because its a 2.3.

They are all great cars and the key is how it was cared for those 158,000 mls.

As for oil just use a quality brand and if money is not an issue use mobil 1 synth. and a gernman made filter.

I would get that v/cover gasket done and then get the oil cleaned off the engine so you will know if thats the only leak. Get the fuel filter changed and tune up parts checked. (standard Bosch pluges are as good as it gets)

Make sure it doesn't have the green antifreeze in it.

Ghange the diff,trans,and power steering fluids. (p/s has a filter in the resavour)

Just give it as much TLC as you can and if you have service records showing some of this work was done recently then skip that and use MB fluid in the p/steering.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Good advice!

I don't think I can get the service records from the original owner, but the 2nd who I just bought it from may have some - I'll check.

Why not the green anti-freeze, what should I use.

Since I bought this late Friday have not had time time to get it shined up and serviced. I plan on getting an oil change, tuneup, radiator flush, and getting the valve cover gaskest replaced.

How do I check that the water pump is working fine, as I've read that a bad water pump means overheating quickly and that destroys the motor quickly. Tonght was adding some oil and checking radiator fluid, it seemed a little low, and was adding some water and some spilled onto the engince block and it steamed up fiercly as though the engine was extremely hot. It had been drive for about 4 or 5 miles and then shut off for a couple of minutes when this happened.

Again, thanks for all the help/tips.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't think so, just some times it sounds like it takes a couple turns of the starter or altenator to get it cranked, i.e. doesn't fire right up like you'd expect a new car would, but it takes a second or two to get cranked - but I don't think I hear a rattle.

Would this be a metallic rattle or like the sound of dirty fuel injectors would sound like?

I'll listen close next time I start it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts