Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys so I have a leaky valve cover gasket so i decided to change it. I pulled off the cover gasket etc. and purchased a new gasket .

I found out when i pulled the Valve Cover off that the plastic peice (breather vent?) on the topside of the cover was cracked. I tried calling many parts store but they don't carry that item.

Iv'e yet to tried my MB dealer because they are closed today.

Does anyone know where i can find one online? I really dont know what the part is called or the part # so im having a hard time trying to identify this peice.

Its a plastic peice held by 3 phillips screws thats mounted on the inside top of the valve cover.

Thanks for any help !

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
so the part im referring to is the oil seperator i believe that mounts on the inside of the valve cover and goes to pvc valve that attaches to the air filter.

I heard you cant get a replace plastic peice that i would have to get a whole new valve cover. Ive tried all day searching for a valve cover for the 2.3 and cant come up with anything, only gaskets.

Can someone chime in on the negative effects of running engine without the seperator on the valve cover. What if i were to just cover the hole that goes to breather hose ?

need help pleaseeee !

·
Registered
1974 280C 1991 190E 1986 E-150
66 Posts
You may try MB they maybe able to help you out. If you have a picture, would be helpful so I can find you the right part needed. Plus I have several yank yards close to me, so I can look there too. I also have a 1991 190E which I am working on putting a new chain and guide into, so I'll be looking for new parts anyways. :p no worries I'll keep an eye out for ya!

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

Attachments

·
Registered
52 Posts
A couple of years ago mine one had a crack in it as well and could not find a replacement, not even from the local stealership.

What I did was get some high temp oil resistant sealer (the type used to assemble engines) and covered the entire pipe with it. I also drilled an extra drain hole in the oil catchment to reduce blowby and that worked well also.

Last week I decided to remove my valve cover to repaint it and sealer was still in tact and showing no signs of deterioration.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
so after hours of trying to source a part out (couldn't even find a darn valve cover , let alone the baffle) i decided to take the broken peices and plastic epoxy them back on . Then went over the glue with high temp gasket sealant.

The plastic weld stuff i used said it's flammable but the sealant that its coverd with is high temp resistant. It is rock solid now. Where does the oil come through just that little hole seen in the plastic peice by all the sealant?

Let me know what you guys think. This valve cover is for the later model 190E's with the plastic insert not the metal one.

hopefully it holds up and the glue/sealant can hold the heat/oil together.

here are some pictures

the top side of plastic peice

·
Registered
'87--190E 2.3-16v(being rebuilt), '99--C230 Kompressor
3,488 Posts
178 views and no input?

:confused:
hold your horses man...you can't expect to post a question and get a adequate in a matter of hours...especially on the weekend

since you already put all that goop on it good luck.. you'd better hope you put it all on good and that it will not come off and clog up your engine.

you could have waited a day or so and sourced local junkyards for a "new" piece..

·
Registered
1992 190E 2.3 Auto
83 Posts
Hmm Wouldn't feel comfortable knowing that some of that Epoxy could fall off and get into the engine.

I changed the valve cover gasket two months ago and didn't want to mess with the baffle as we all know what happens when you play with old plastics..

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
well the baffle was already cracked in the corner . So i decided to take it off a another peice broke off.

The epoxy is underneath all the high temp sealant. I wonder how this red high temp. sealant will stand under heat/pressure/oil.

Its completely dry this morning and doesnt seem like its flaking off. just rubbery like sealant would be.

Im a little sketchy about putting this in my VC , what do you guys think... MB wants $720 CAD for a new VC since the later model 190's didn't have the baffle sold seperately.

·
Registered
1997 Dinan BMW M3; 1985 190e 2.3, 2013 Jeep Wrangler
1,382 Posts
well the baffle was already cracked in the corner . So i decided to take it off a another peice broke off.

The epoxy is underneath all the high temp sealant. I wonder how this red high temp. sealant will stand under heat/pressure/oil.

Its completely dry this morning and doesnt seem like its flaking off. just rubbery like sealant would be.

Im a little sketchy about putting this in my VC , what do you guys think... MB wants $720 CAD for a new VC since the later model 190's didn't have the baffle sold seperately.
Save future troubles, just buy a new one, now sure if they have it but check Auto Parts Warehouse | Car Parts & Accessories, Truck Parts, Discount Auto Body Parts Online if you use promo code APWWELCOME it will save you 5%, if you try CHECK100 it is for 10% off but does not work with all parts.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So I gathered my pennies together and went to MB and bought a new Valve Cover for $850.... lol NOT

I was lucky enough to find one with the baffle for my model at the Ace European parts in Burnaby, B.C

good guy, quick service and reasonable pricing. Paid a third of a new VC :bowdown:

·
Registered
86' 190E 2.3L
378 Posts
So I gathered my pennies together and went to MB and bought a new Valve Cover for $850.... lol NOT

I was lucky enough to find one with the baffle for my model at the Ace European parts in Burnaby, B.C

good guy, quick service and reasonable pricing. Paid a third of a new VC :bowdown:
U serious....:eek:
U paid 1/3 of $850 for a used valve cover.
Should have look on CL & see who is parting out their 190Es, u could pick one up $20 or less.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Craigslist was the first place i looked, i couldnt come up with anything. i know i still paid quite a bit but it beats the price from the dealer and i needed one right away so i settled for what i could find.

·
Premium Member
1986 190E 2.3-16, 1992 190E 2.3, 2015 GL350 BTC, and 2020 GLS450
2,395 Posts
I hate to be a pain but I would never put a used valve cover in my 8v. I would buy the new one.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I hate to be a pain but I would never put a used valve cover in my 8v. I would buy the new one.
why is that? It's almost the same thing as taking off your original valve cover, replace gasket/clean and putting it back on. Maybe not? is there something i am missing?

I checked it over and it didn't seem warped and definetly no cracks in it.

·
Registered
1991 190e 2.3, 1997 C280, 1981 300D Euro (Sold), 1998 BMW 328i
104 Posts
I think that I had some cracks in mine that I repaired a few years ago. I beleive that purpose of the baffel is to restrict oil that is splashing around within the valve cover from entering into the intake manifold. However, I now notice that there seems to be oil in the hose system that extends from the side of my valve cover. Since the baffel is basically not available, I plan on looking into modifying the vent system with some sort of pipe trap with a fitting into the top of the valve cover. I'll post the results if and when I find a solution.

·
Premium Member
1986 190E 2.3-16, 1992 190E 2.3, 2015 GL350 BTC, and 2020 GLS450
2,395 Posts
why is that? ... .
The cover has air cleaner mounting points glued to the alloy cover and internal parts mounted inside. I cannot replicate factory conditions to replace those parts. I cannot measure and correct warpage and I cannot correct corrosion without compromising the cover. So I would replace it with a new one. I also am the first and only owner so there is nothing I would not do for my 8v.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts