Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

190E 2.3 Euro Headlight plus Headlight Wiper System

5999 Views 5 Replies 3 Participants Last post by  MTI
I would like to ask for some technical help on this little project I'm planning to do. I have a 1986 190E 2.3 with USA headlamps (ugly) and I plan to give it the euro look (much prettier!!). However, besides the obvious need for Euro Headlamps which are readily available here in the US, I also intend to install headlight wipers on the car and I haven't seen any kits for sale here in America. Kindly help me as to what additional parts I may need to make this conversion. I heard that I'll also need new switches for the headlight since euro versions have a "light intensity adjuster" dial on their switch. They say I'll also need new relays although I believe that when you purchase euro headlight assemblies, pretty much everything is included from wires to relays (I think , correct me if I'm wrong). I recently got 1986 300E headlight wiper motors (Bosch)from ebay and will this thing fit the 190E ? Please Help. Thanks a lot.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
1990 190E 2.6
97 Posts
No wiper system, but..

I did get the Euro headlight assemblies.

1 - You can use your current switches and wires if u like. The euro lights have 5 pins, the US ones have 4 pins, so you can just pull your current plug apart and connect wires 1 by 1. Or, you can look for an adapter that goes between the headlight and your current plug.

2 - european cars have 2 headlight switches. one is just like the US cars, and the other is a vacuum switch that adjusts the angle of the headlights (up/down). If you want this, you'll need a new trim piece, a new switch and vacuum lines (and vacuum know-how)

3 - You can reuse your H3 bulbs (foglights), but you will need to get new high/low beam bulbs - the euro's use H4 bulbs. They're easy to get.

Hope this helps.[:)]

· Registered
'85 2.3-16 '99 C280 '11 GLK350
4,803 Posts
First, US headlight wipers don't work on euro spec headlights, the wiper blade and arms ar...

First, US headlight wipers don't work on euro spec headlights, the wiper blade and arms are different, so you'll need to get the euro wipers. You'll also need the wiring harness to tie the wiper relay into the wiring. The OEM setup is that the headlight wipers only activate when the headlights are on. Sounds like a lot of work to wipe the headlights, but hey, that's just me.

Euro spec assemblies have a vacuum controlled adjuster for aiming the main beams. The two steps compensate for when you have a lot of weight in the rear tipping the car and pointing the beams too high, the adjuster lets you aim them down lower.

· Registered
2005 S430 Sport / 1995 E420 / Mercedes-Benz Fitness bike
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks

So basically, the euro switch you mentioned controls the angle of the headlight? are you referring to the "dial" much like the balance dial located on the shifter panel beside the right side mirror adjustment switch ? Since I'm a vacuum-don't-know-how, is it easy to do or does this require a certified MB tech ?

Thanks for your input BTW.[:D]

· Registered
2005 S430 Sport / 1995 E420 / Mercedes-Benz Fitness bike
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Vacuum adjuster

So when I purchase the euro headlights, does all the necessary wires and relays come with it? I actually prefer the euro spec wipers as those look better too.
BTW, what brand do you suggest is the best ? Some say there are plastic lenses and there are glass but which is which ?

· Registered
'85 2.3-16 '99 C280 '11 GLK350
4,803 Posts
For a detailed explanation of the euro spec headlights and their installation in a 190E, c...

For a detailed explanation of the euro spec headlights and their installation in a 190E, check out www.2phast.com and you'll get the pics and install highlights on both the euro vacuum adjuster and the headlights themselves.

All euro spec headlights, whether from Bosch, Hella, Depo or TYC, have glass lenses and have the vacuum adjustment system and identical mounting points since they are direct replacement parts for the stock european cars. Bosch and Hella are made in Germany and have a heft and feel that the Depo and TYC, made in Taiwan, can't match, but they're almost twice the expense. It's your decision. You don't need any relays or wires, except as described below.

Before you buy them here in the US, check with the seller on the following points:

1) Are the bulbs included? Euro lights contain an H4 for the regular and low beams, an H3 for the fogs, and a 5 watt City Light, located under the H4.

2) Is a wiring adapter included? The US lights use a 4 pin connector. The Euros, if you want to use the City Light, will need the 6 pin adapter. If the seller doesn't include an adapter, no problem since you can get them from US MB dealers for around $20 for a pair. While you're there, pick up a pair of female plugs for the adapter, so you can jumper wire the City Lights to the side marker.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.