Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
190E 2.3-16
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all! I'm new to this forum and I need some advice. Last year I bought a 190E 2.3-16v at a cost of £800, it was not taxed or MOT'd. Well it is finally taxed, insured, and MOT'd (£835 for the MOT alone!!). It was idling rough, and would not accelerate smooth past 4000 rpm, but my local mechanic has sorted that out :) , trouble is now, after about 25 mins of driving it, it starts to cut out! After it cuts out I have to wait for around 20 mins before the car will start again, and when it starts again, it will drive for about 5 mins then cut out again, and so on and so on! A ex-mechanic friend of mine has near enough guarenteed that it is the ignition module that needs replacing, as soon as I told him that it is cutting out he asked "and it won't start again for about 20 mins?", so he must have a good idea! Anyhow, could this problem be caused by anything else? I am not too mechanicly minded and do not own a workshop manual for the car, so if anybody reccomends checking this that and the other I will probably require an idiots guide to do it! Your help will be much welcomed!

Regards, Blakes

·
W245 Moderator
2009 C300 4MATIC
3,302 Posts
First of all change the fuel filter (part no. A 002 477 17 01) and seal ring to the package T line (part no. N 007603 012110), if not supplied with the new filter (it's a fuel interruption problem imho).

The ride looks super imho (needs some tender love and caressing...:))

·
Registered
190E 2.3-16
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, there are a few things that I am going to replace, fuel filter is one, HT leads is another because they look like they are in a sorry state! I don't get paid for another 3 weeks though! I was driving the car earlier and I'm posative it aint pulling as strong as it should in high revs, seems to pull good through mid range then it don't pull as well as it was in high revs! My mate was following me in his Peugeot 309 GTI and he could keep up with me quite easily at speeds under 70mph, after 70mph I pulled away. I am a bit disappointed by the lack of replys to this thread (I have had one, and I looked at all the work you have been doing to your car, nice one! I even painted my grill today as it was a shitty grey colour and now it is black!)

Come on guys ffs! I need some advice on my car! I thought this would be a good place to get some. This thread has been on for over 24 hrs, and I have had only one reply (which is appreciated btw)! Help a man out!!

·
2.3-16 | A3 2.0T | 986 Boxster
5,048 Posts
Blakes said:
Yeah, there are a few things that I am going to replace, fuel filter is one, HT leads is another because they look like they are in a sorry state! I don't get paid for another 3 weeks though! I was driving the car earlier and I'm posative it aint pulling as strong as it should in high revs, seems to pull good through mid range then it don't pull as well as it was in high revs! My mate was following me in his Peugeot 309 GTI and he could keep up with me quite easily at speeds under 70mph, after 70mph I pulled away. I am a bit disappointed by the lack of replys to this thread (I have had one, and I looked at all the work you have been doing to your car, nice one! I even painted my grill today as it was a shitty grey colour and now it is black!)

Come on guys ffs! I need some advice on my car! I thought this would be a good place to get some. This thread has been on for over 24 hrs, and I have had only one reply (which is appreciated btw)! Help a man out!!
Hummmm... you have a total of 5 posts and you want to throw your shit around like you own the place. If a mechanic said it was the ignition, there's a good chance that's what it is. What exactly are the symptoms? Any lights come on? Anything dim before hand? Any noises? Your description is a little vague, when my alternator was going bad, my car would cut out and start up again later. If there's a problem with the fuel pump or fuel pump relay, or fuel in general your car may cut out and start again later. After is cuts out, can you push start it? Why is your buddy an ex-mechanic?

·
IR MODERATOR
1996 Volvo 855GLT, 1993 MB 190e 2.3 8v, 1998 Subaru Outback SUS, 1991 BMW 525, 1998 MB C230
9,228 Posts
start with searching the board and see if you can find anything im sure people have had the same problems before. if you havent driven it in a while start with a complete tune-up, plugs, wires, cap, rotor, all filters, intake etc. o yea complete ur profile too.

·
Registered
1985 w201 Euro 2.3-16vlv / 1992 w201 2.6 Sportline Manual
6,726 Posts
Hes not in the US, hes in the UK and he has a 2.3-16. What more info you need? haha

·
IR MODERATOR
1996 Volvo 855GLT, 1993 MB 190e 2.3 8v, 1998 Subaru Outback SUS, 1991 BMW 525, 1998 MB C230
9,228 Posts
i like the interior of his car though,

·
Registered
6,726 Posts
Wood kit on the panels agaisnt that red looks hideous and the wheel has faded something major. Just my 2 cents. Its a sexy interior otherwise.

·
Registered
190E 2.3-16
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sorry for 'throwing my shit around like I own the place'!, I'm just frustrated with the car. It don't give any warning that it's gonna cut out, no funny noises, no lights, it just dies all of a sudden after 20 mins of driving. As for not pulling strong in high revs, I think it could be over-fuelling as I can smell petrol when I have the window down, but the mechanic who has been trying to fix it thinks it is getting better the more it is used (I think he is just sick of it because he could not pin-point what was wrong!). My friend the ex-mechanic got fed up working on cars, his interest turned into his job, and after he finished work at the garage he would go home to work on other cars, he just got sick of it and now works in a quarry! I have been looking at other threads to see if anybody has been having the same problem as me, but they seem to have trouble on tickover and when the car is stationary. I just want an idea of what it could be or what inexpensive parts should be changed as my pockets sure aint bottomless or all that deep!

Oh, where could I lay my hands on a workshop manual for my car? Thanks for the replies, I'd prefer the interior to be all black, but hey! It's something different!

Also, can anybody reccomend any websites that are good for spare parts? Thanks again

·
Registered
6,726 Posts
Joetlc.com for misc shit. the other websites, search on it.

As for a manual i can email you one for the 102 supplement engine.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts