Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello i am currently restoring my Mercedes Cosworth and im wanting to get extra power from my engine. In standard form it produces 185 bhp, but in racing form it was tuned to more than 300 bhp also ive been informed that its pointless increasing the stroke to increase the engine size to 2.5 as this iterferes with the reving caracteristics of the engine (They never raced the 2.5).
I am faced with the delema of whether to turbocharge the engine or to fit new cams, thottle bodies, pistons and an ECU etc??? the race engine was not turbocharged??? I don't know what to do???

Any ideas??????

Oscar

·
Registered
'85 2.3-16 '99 C280 '11 GLK350
4,804 Posts
Yikes! Where are you getting your information from? The 300bhp version was initially being desgined for rallye racing with considerably modified internals. MB dropped that plan when the Audi Quattros were busy winning everything in sight. The next incarnation of extraordinary HP were the cars modified for the German DTM series, again with substantial changes to the powertrain and only creating that HP at very high RPMs. Finally, the 2.5-16 was certainly raced, as it had a naturally broader power range, even in stock form. When it was modified for the Sport Evolution and the Evolution II, it provided the basis for some 350-400HP motors when DTM introduced the unlimited class in the early 90's.

Owners of the 2.3-16 have installed "stroker kits" and have turbocharged/supercharged their cars with success. How much have you budgeted for this "project?"

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am currently restoring the bodywork to factory condition, but after that i am going to devote my intire budget to improving the engine. I am still sure that only the 2.3 16v was raced, after serching the net and speaking to my local Mercedes dealer garage foreman, which he told me that the 2.3 was a better car to drive!!! For that very reason i intend to leave the stroke unchanged, i have seen too many other cars that have had their stroke increased and it made the engine unable to rev as well, if you think about it the pistons would have further to travel to make one revolution.. so im intending to remove the head and machine it to fit larger valves and high lift cams and while i have the head off ill change the piston rings and big end bearings,i will then fit throttle boddies and fit a new ecu. Keeping the same stroke and bore will mean that i will not have to compromise with reving caracteristics!!!! I would rather have a rev happy engine than a torquey LUMP!!!!!!

·
Registered
4,804 Posts
The 2.3-16 was raced in the 80's by "privateers" in the German DTM series and is raced in the US in the SCCA. The sucess of the 2.3-16 spurred Mercedes to get back into road racing and to specifically develop the Evolutions for their factory effort.

Pretty much every reviewer in the day found that the 2.5-16 was a substantial improvement over the 2.3-16 engine, particularly in delivering a broader power range.

·
Registered
cosworth
2 Posts
I have recently come across a rare cosworth mercedes , after pulling the engine down , found forged pistons of an odd size the capacity works out to 2.78liter
the engine is as new there is extra clearances for piston conrods are custom
head looks gas flowed could it be factory special appears stock from exterior. am contemplating fitting to my old 124te manual wagon to frighten the natives.

·
Registered
4,804 Posts
The tuning company, Oettenger (sp) produced an upgrade kit for the 2.3-16 that upped the displacement to 2.6 via larger Mahle pistons, different crankshaft and other tuning. Perhaps you have one.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Shindzz

The 2.5-16 was actually raced more than the 2.3-16 was. Not to be rude but your garage foreman doesnt know shit . Most of the guys working at the dealerships dont have the slightest clue what they're talking about . The 2.3 has a lot of potential....you just have to know where to look and have the money to spend.

MTI , tired of the rev are ya ?

·
Registered
82 Posts
I'd the leave the valves the size they are, many people have had success with high lift cams and stock valves. Remember , bigger is not always better.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts