Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
'89 300CE/'90 560SEC
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to buy an '87, US spec 2.3-16v....but it's the first and only one I've seen with an automatic transmission? Was this an available option for this car? I thought they were only available in 5-speed manuals.

Does anyone know the difference b/w the US and European versions (notice this doesn't have the rear headrests but has power seats). Second owner also claims it does not have self leveling suspension but I tought that was standard also.

·
Registered
'85 2.3-16 '99 C280 '11 GLK350
4,804 Posts
4 Speed automatic was available as an option, but given the high revving 16 valve engine, not a desirable one. You're better off with a 2.6L six if you fancy an automatic.

The euro 2.3-16 had more HP with less emission controls, a slightly hotter camshaft and higher rev limit built into the fuel pump relay. The interior is notable for the rotary knobs of the HVAC controls while the North American version got push buttons. Most euro interiors were cloth or a combination of leather and cloth, while North American 2.3-16 were all black leather seating.

·
Registered
291 Posts
The SLS was only on the rears and maybe second owner doesn't quite know what he was talking about or he did know and it was removed.

Many cars had them removed because of cost or diagnostic problems.

They are great cars and I recomend them to all my friends.

Never owned one with an auto trans. so don't know what to tell ya there.[:)]

·
Registered
'89 300CE/'90 560SEC
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for the feedback. i actually would prefer to get a 5-speed, euro version but this particular example is in fairly good shape compared to other's i've seen and i'm spooked about finding parts for this model (particularly the cosmetic/trim pieces). i suspect the 5-speed is more desireable from a collector's perspective given the sporting nature of this model.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts