Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

190DT transmission swap

1412 Views 4 Replies 4 Participants Last post by  mr.16v
I have just aquired a 190DT in fair shape except for the transmission. I would like to swap a manual transmission in place of the existing automatic one which is in need of an immediate rebuild.

I know that the process is fairly involved and feel confident that I can handle it if there is a manual transmission that will mate up to the engine.

As I understand it all the 190DTs imported to the US came with automatic transmissions. But does a standard 190D 2.5 manual transmission bolt up to the 2.5 turbo?

Do any other mercedes manual transmissions bolt up?

Any information will be appreciated.
Thanks,
Dana
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
2002 E320W4
238 Posts
i was told that the DT was available with a manual also....

i was told that the DT was available with a manual also.

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well...I had the auto tranny rebuilt....

But I would still like to swap for a manual 4,5,or 6 speed. It is a perky little car that is not done justice by an automatic tranny.

I know this will be a fairly involved project. But I can probably do it if I have a place to start.

Is this a stupid question?
Will a manual transmission/clutch assy from a 190e, 190D (2.2) match up to the bellhousing bolt pattern of the 2.5?

Or will I have to find a manual transmission/clutch assy from a 2.5D to use?

thanks,
Dana

· Registered
1987 w201 cosworth, 190dt one red,one Nautikal blue
157 Posts
I swapped the automatic transmissions out of both of my 190dt cars and they work fine I remember using single mass flywheels from a 2.6 190e the cars drive great a sound really cool, most satisfying transmission swap I have done to any car.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.