Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings,
I have a 1986 190D with a 2.5 liter non-turbo diesel. I have ran nearly 100,000 miles on straight WVO. But this problem has been present since before I got it and converted to veggie. It will idle fine most of the time. But sometimes, the idle speed will drop and get very rough. Other times it will speed up abnormally high. Any ideas what could be causing this? I was thinking a worn injector. I got a set of Monark injectors and a balancing tool and was going to change them out. But even with a large breaker bar, I could not get that first injector to loosen up and come out. Since I was becoming afraid of stripping out the aluminum head, I gave up. Any advice about the injectors would be appreciated also.
Thank You!

·
IR MODERATOR
9,228 Posts
i know the fuel filters play a vital role to preformance on diesels but how many miles are on ur filters?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Being an '86, I think your year has an electronic Idle control on the upper rear of the IP. Is your problem more when hot or cold or doesn't matter?

The other thing you can try is to see if you have one or multiple cylinders misfiring. When it starts to act up, crack each injector line at the injector, see if the rpms and roughness change. If they do, you know that cylinder is firing.

Rick

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for your replies. The condiition does not change with new filters. Interesting about the electronic idle control on the pump. I can barely even see the injection pump under that intake manifold. Now that you mention it, it only happens after it's warmed up. But it has always idled rough until it's warmed up. I'm just in the habit of having one foot on the acceleraator and one on the brake until warmed up.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts