Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1985 190D 2.2
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Question may be simple, but I am kind of confused. Just removed intake manifold to change glow plugs and seals for high pressure lines, and found out that these wide intake pipes are so dirty! I can remove sticky dirt with fingers, almost like diging hole in mudy dirt (may be not so bad, but for the sake of description). I believe that the removed part I can clean with brush and simply diesel. But what to do with the open part on the engine? I mean how to clean inside there? Whatever I can, I remove using rag and finger. And the rest?
I compare it to throttle body cleaning on the gasoline one, which is super clean and there is nothing easear than to flush cleaner under the air filter while car is running. But what should I do with diesel?

·
Registered
'85 2.3-16 '99 C280 '11 GLK350
4,804 Posts
Give some thought to having the intake removed and then going to a shop that has a parts washer big enough for the intaked to be solvent soaked in. Not knowing how much of that sooty stuff is in the intake runners makes it risky to use a chemical cleaner while running the car.

·
Registered
1985 190D 2.2
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, but honestly I don't want to assemble back all the lines, and cables, and electrical wires without intake manifold (so I can run the engine without manifold) and it will allow me to spray, let's say, throttle body cleaner into this valve compartment...
My be I shouldn't touch it at all? But I can't step on myself and to install back not clean parts.
Anyway I think to use Throttle Body Cleaner (it evaporates fast) and then to suck all dried debris with wet vacuum... There could be better idea, thought.

·
Registered
1984 190D: 2.2 5-speed, well over 500,000 kilometres
85 Posts
But what to do with the open part on the engine? I mean how to clean inside there? Whatever I can, I remove using rag and finger. And the rest?
I'm guessing you mean the intake ports on the cylinder head? A small wire brush worked around in there while keeping constant suction on a shop-vac should clean it up pretty good without allowing any to fall further into the head.....

·
Registered
1985 190D 2.2
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
"intake ports on the cylinder head", - this is it, thank you. And yes, I have tried last night, it works fine, but so uncomfortable! Especially to work close to firewall...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts