Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have read several posts ( printed them off ) from various forums on the technique of removing the lock tumbler from the ignition body. I spent several hours trying to accomplish this proceedure using 2 diff. ign. switches and have yet to succeed. I am convinced that I'm missing some small subtle aspect of this task. I hope someone can clarify or help me thru the completion of this process. I have been doing a dsl conv. on a 1987/8 190E you can follow the completed conv. here http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w201-190-class/1666231-update-190e-190d-conversion.html

Thanks

·
Registered
w115-240D, w115-300D, w201-190e (3), w123-300D w201-190d
352 Posts
Here is what I did to change the ign lock on the '91 190e.

Remove the bezel , insert the key, turn to position 1, insert a wire down the side of the lock, remove lock.

The wire I made from a piece of old stainless aerial , it was about 2mm dia , maybe a little smaller , I ground a wee bevel on one end to help it slip past the retaining spring down in the lock body. I found that the wire would go down about 30mm then required a further effort to push it another 8mm approx, on another car , I used the same set up and struggled for several minutes, I have no explanation as to why the same tool was easy on one and difficult on another. The book shows to use a twin wire tool , but both of the locks only had one part of the spring retaining the lock. If the key is not in the #1 position , it is not possible to do this job.

·
Registered
'87--190E 2.3-16v(being rebuilt), '99--C230 Kompressor
3,488 Posts
i used 2 -.050 allen keys that i cut off the ends to a slight angle...when insert them or any other tool, there is 2 detents that you must pass the first one is easy..the 2nd is tighter then a virgin using hemorrid cream. after that the cylinder pulls right out

make it easier on yourself go to the local junkyard and try it out there to get the hang of it before you do yours. it's a Bit*& if you break it off

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I made the correct tool and have switched the tumblers out, all is well.:) Now just correcting small thing on the car that weren't working before. All major issues are behind me. Thanks if you helped. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
94 SL500 R129, 1990 190E 2.6 W201
20 Posts
Small subtle aspect of this task

As soon as you get everything in place, key in 1 position and tool inserted is to turn everything as a single unit counterclockwise before pulling assembly out. There is a latching mechanism that releases the key guard and this can only be accomplished by turning counterclockwise with the tool in place.

·
Registered
500E, E320, 190E, E55
1,006 Posts
Ratbu - that was THE small detail that has been left out in all other descriptions of removal "slight turn counterclockwise"
Thank you for adding that!!

Regards

·
Registered
1989 560SEC
2,056 Posts
I tried for three weekends but couldn't get it. Took it to my indy and he had it off in 5 minutes. It takes a special touch.

Mike

1 - 7 of 7 Posts