Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
I'm brand new to 190 ownership, just buying a 1989 carb model 5 speed manual.
The previous owner said the odometer had failed after he tried to reset it on the move.
I haven't looked in there yet, Speedo works , so must be innards.
Is this something I can explore please ? Obviously cluster out , any special tools please for that bit other than common sense !
Thank you for any thoughts

·
Registered
1989 W124 260E
1,375 Posts
Just do a google search on this ,,lots of information step by step repairs . The gear inside wear out or dont line up .My speedo was removed and i found that one gear had moved along the shaft, so were not in line to turn on the numbers on the trip counter ,. Check - Disel Giant web site thats the place i took my instructions from. I f you do do this when you get to removing the speed pointer lift it anti clockwise over end stop and mark its resting place with a pencil ,then remove it be very carefull doing this . You can buy a pair of tools to pull the head from the console ,or just make some from a coat hanger wire . Good luck .

·
Registered
89 190E 2.6 x2
1,440 Posts
Odometer failure is almost always caused by resetting the trip meter while in motion.
From what I remember, the gear will pop out of place and sometimes you might be able to just put it back.
My odometer failed years ago and I just paid a shop that specialized in VDO speedometers to repair it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you all for this.
Does anyone have a link to an owners manual please? 1989 190 Carburettor manual version please?

·
Registered
1989 W124 260E
1,375 Posts
Richard it might be best to pick up another speedo .
Unles your handy with car repairs . I would -- thats if you do pull the speedo head from dash take pictures of where the bullbs fit and mark them up with a marker pen .

1 - 8 of 8 Posts