Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
The mechanic I go to just said my sparkplugs were all dirty and needed changed. He never said anything about molten ones. Although I wonder how one of them could be so bad that he said it was broken. I'll ask him.
The ex-owner friend of mine said that they fixed the fan to the motor because the thermostat was broken and he couldn't afford a new one. Seem0s to be common practice in Africa, so his mechanic told him. I dunno. I'm a rockabilly guitarist with spanners!
The car runs perfect other than that. The problem only happens once every so often, but I've kinda fallen in love with her, and when this Covid thing eases up , she'll be driving me around italy to my gigs! I need to get there!

·
Registered
846 Posts
You mentioned your spark plug being completely gone. What was wrong with it ? All black and fouled up or electrode melted off. If you have problems with the ignition side all bets are off as to why the vehicle looses power at times. One 190E I worked on had a bad ignition cable where the center wire burned back a couple of centimeters. The car would still run in idle and under no load, but as soon as you started driving it would fail to fired that cylinder and instead arc in and around the distributor cap where a nice black trace was found under the black plastic dust cap on the distributor. From the evidence of the "Spare" parts that came along in the trunk one could see that the previous owner had the ignition coil replaced twice before. Needless to say that it didn't solve the problem. Ignition cables do go bad, often times from pulling on the wire instead of on the housing, but are easily tested and replaced, spark plugs on the other hand very seldomly fail these days.

As to "welding" the fan to the motor... That's just plain wrong! We have a 1985 a 1992 and a 1993 of these an none overheat in hot California, although the '85 gets a little on the hot side at 39C outside temps while sitting in traffic and I have threatened to install a bypass switch for the electric fan..
on the 6 cyl , cap and rotor , bosch only .the rotor will ground out at the shaft , the cap get carbon tracing between the poles .

21 - 25 of 25 Posts