Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I've had my 190 2.6 stored away in a garage for 6 years in UK - I've been working overseas for a while.
I don't confess to being a car expert, so at the time I didn't take any particular measures when storing my car.

I'm now planning to return home and want to be able to start using my 190 again (now seems to be an antique ! - but still love the car).

Can anyone tell me what needs to be done to my car (not used in 6 years) to be able to safely drive it again. I know the battery needs replacing, but I'm sure there is alot more to do.

I'll be grateful for any help in this area.

·
Registered
'86 190E 2.3L
1,724 Posts
1. Fuses
2. Fill the gas tank up[:p]
3. check/fill windshield, brake, transmission fluid, etc.....
4. Tire pressure
5. Get some of the stuff that takes the water out of the gas tank.
You could just take it for a tune-up at a shop somewhere, they'll prob do this stuff for you.

·
Registered
87 190E 2.3L
31 Posts
You should change just about every fluid in the vehicle especially the oil, fuel, coolant, trans fluid and brake fluid. Check the engine belt, hoses and the tires for dry cracking. If it were me I'd disconnect the coil wire and crank the engine over for about 30 seconds to lube the upper cylinders and valve train. Hope this helps.

CC

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the tips.

Roughly how much can I expect to pay a dealer to do this ? (Is it a big / time consuming job ? / Parts + Labour)

Also can you see if there are any issues / problems if I got a non-mecedes dealer to do the work ?

If there are no cracks in the tires, is it 100% safe to drive on the motorways / autobahns ?

Many thanks again.

·
Registered
'96 sl500, 87 300td
134 Posts
In addition I would recommend pulling the spark plugs and lub the cylinders with wd40 or some other spray lub to protect the rings when you first turn it over.

·
Registered
'86 190E 2.3L
1,724 Posts
cc333 - 3/20/2005 8:47 PM

Thanks for the tips.

Roughly how much can I expect to pay a dealer to do this ? (Is it a big / time consuming job ? / Parts + Labour)

Also can you see if there are any issues / problems if I got a non-mecedes dealer to do the work ?

If there are no cracks in the tires, is it 100% safe to drive on the motorways / autobahns ?

Many thanks again.
All you really need is an expirenced car person to do a regular tune up to make sure everything is working..they'll proably know exactly what to look for to get it ready to go. Got any mechanics for friends?[:D]

·
Registered
1700 w999
397 Posts
As well as the hoses, belts, fluids, filters and maybe tyres (depending on how it's been stored) it's possible that after standing 6 years the brakes are buggered. Your car will also have to pass an MOT.

I live W. of London, have 2 2.6s and a 190E 2.5-16 & know a few good independents around the country. Where's the car?

Don't take it to a dealer - it's too old for their techs & the labour rate is £90+ (+17.5 VAT) per hour.

If you want a name let me know.

Some UK MB BBs.

http://www.mercedes-benz-club.co.uk/
This is the "official" Club - £35 to join, worth it.

http://forums.mercedesclub.org.uk/index.php

http://www.mbclub.co.uk/forums/

1 - 7 of 7 Posts