Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
190/201 1988-model
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought my first Mercedes-Benz last week. It works fine, BUT, on my first long ride, after about 150km, the engine just "dies" on the road! It feels like a fuel-"hick", it coffs and when i press the gas the engine don't react... but restarts fine after a short while, but it repeats. When the car "rest" over night, next day it works ok, but after a while it happens again, it happens at any speed and any gear. I put it neutral and engine starts, but I can't trust the car on the highway. What is the problem: Temperature? Fuel-injection? Any ideas or solutions?

·
Registered
87 Euro 190d 2.0 4M
35 Posts
Hmm- I dunno if this helps, but if it's a gasoline model, I'd start with the least-expensive stuff and change-out the plugs, cap, rotor and filters.

With a previous gasoline car I had a similar problem, that turned out to be an ignition problem that was easily fixed with cap, rotor, plugs, and timing adjustment. -J

·
BenzWorld W126 & W201 Host
1988 420SE, 2002 C180 Kompressor, 200 ML320
1,159 Posts
Could be a bad fuel pump relay. Next time it cuts out, turn the ignition off and on again and listen for the fuel pump buzzing (it should buzz for about 1-2 seconds)

If there is no buzzing then the fuel pump relay has probably gone bad.

You can open the relay up and quite often find dry or cracked soldered joints that can be easily fixed with a soldering iron.

·
Registered
1984 190E 2.3 8v
119 Posts
coil
next time when it dies go carefully touch the outside of the coil, if it is hot that is your problem.

·
Banned
1992 W126 300 SE
11,045 Posts
When my engine 'died' unexpectedly a couple of times,i suspected a blocked fuel filter,since like you,i was able to start it again straight away.Accordingly,i didn't take any immediate action.Then last week it stopped in traffic and refused to restart even after i allowed it to cool down completely.
It turned out to be the fuel relay,as Spanners has suggested,so that's what i would suspect first with those symptoms.You can check for operation of the fuel pump by jumping the correct sockets in the relay holder,but you need to be sure to identify the correct terminals to avoid a fireworks display[:D]

1 - 6 of 6 Posts