Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
'12 Peugeot 3008 HYbrid4 (sorry!)
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Seeing that my future ML320CDI will probably arrive with either Bridgestone Turanza ER 30's or Michelin Diamaris's I have to look around for another solution. These are pure summer tires, and do not meet my needs.

In all-season, there are a couple of alternatives in the 255/50-19 size, notably a couple of Pirelli Scorpions and a Kumho. But when you have to go, why not go boldly?

I note that the X5 comes with an assymetrical set of tire sizes: Front 255/50-19, rear 285/45-19 - that means that these two tire sizes must be pretty close in diameter to be able to work together.

Now, my question is: What's the maximum reasonable tire width for an 8" wide wheel??

TIA,
Birger

·
Registered
2020 MB GLE 450 4MATIC, 2015 BMW M4
2,117 Posts
Birger - 5/8/2005 4:27 PM

Hi,

Seeing that my future ML320CDI will probably arrive with either Bridgestone Turanza ER 30's or Michelin Diamaris's I have to look around for another solution. These are pure summer tires, and do not meet my needs.

In all-season, there are a couple of alternatives in the 255/50-19 size, notably a couple of Pirelli Scorpions and a Kumho. But when you have to go, why not go boldly?

I note that the X5 comes with an assymetrical set of tire sizes: Front 255/50-19, rear 285/45-19 - that means that these two tire sizes must be pretty close in diameter to be able to work together.

Now, my question is: What's the maximum reasonable tire width for an 8" wide wheel??

TIA,
Birger
Pirelli Scorpion Assimetricos come in 285/45-19 with a recommended rim width of 8 - 10". While the wider end of this range is preferable, they will work on 8s as long as there is enough clearance to the suspension and for turning. The diameter is only 0.1" larger than 255/50s. These are suitable for "light snow."

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, Greg

- after posting, I found some info on the Kumho site indicating a "atandard" rim width of 10" for their 285/45-19. But if an 8" rim would be acceptable, putting 285/45-19's on instead of the stock size could be an interesting alternative.

Where did you fint the info on the Pirellis?

Cheers from one lake to another [;)][;)]

Birger

·
Registered
2020 MB GLE 450 4MATIC, 2015 BMW M4
2,117 Posts
Birger - 5/8/2005 2:07 AM

Thanks, Greg

- after posting, I found some info on the Kumho site indicating a "atandard" rim width of 10" for their 285/45-19. But if an 8" rim would be acceptable, putting 285/45-19's on instead of the stock size could be an interesting alternative.

Where did you fint the info on the Pirellis?

Cheers from one lake to another [;)][;)]

Birger
The Tire Rack http://www.tirerack.com/ has the most complete website on tires, including, specs, reviews, test reports and pricing. They have the Kumhos and most others. You can browse by vehicle, size or brand.

What I plan to do is sell my 19s (they should be pretty marketable) and get something wider. Or, I could trade them (+ cash) for someone's 17s or 18s to use for my winter tires. Or, I could just throw some winters on the stock 19s, though not ideal--Pirelli Scorpion Ice & Snow comes in 19 & 20.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks (again! [:)]), Greg

I already know - or rather thought I knew - TireRack, but evidently I haven't discovered all its hidden treasures [;)]

Your solution sounds sensible - I'll probably go for a set of Pirellis, either the "normal" Scorpion Zero or the Zero Assimetrico (which should be quieter).

In a recent German test of SUV tires featuring among others the Bridgestone Turanza ER30 and the Pirelli Scorpion Zero, the Pirelli stopped 20.1 metres shorter from 100 kph in the wet than the Bridgestone. I prefer that to the Bridgestone's 1.2 metres shorter stopping distance in the dry.

Cheers from Italy,
Birger

1 - 5 of 5 Posts