Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, My daughter has a 180E and she just had it serviced a week ago and driving it today one of the times she took off it wouldn't change from 2nd the 3rd, the next time she took off it wouldn't change out of 1st to 2nd so now its stuck in 1st gear, any ideas, Hoping its not stuffed because she can't afford to fix it and neither can we at the moment,, hoping for a relatively easy fix or something to try,,
any idea would be great,,,
thanks
We are in Adelaide

·
Registered
2,458 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
I think that sounds like the vacuum modulator on the transmission. Easy fix, but you need to find out first if it's able to hold a vacuum. It could be that, a leaking vac line to it or just low on fluid. Good luck

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
I thought the modulator only controls the smoothness of the shifts?

What happens if she puts it in gear selection 2 and 3?

·
Registered
4,103 Posts
I was hoping for a relatively easy fix or something to try.
Lets start from the first step.

Do you know how to read the transmission dipstick?

Have you checked the fluid level, after the car has idled 20 minutes and with the engine still running in park?

You also need to fill out your profile so we know which 201 we are dealing with.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I am not sure but I think it would be a 3 or 4 spd not a five its a 1991 180E, it was serviced a week ago and seems to still be full of nice clean fluid, Ill have a read of the links thank you,, I did check the trans fluid level in park when the motor was running and hot, I wasn't at the time sure if it was the correct way to check this trans but I think its common in Park or Neutral while running,,
Not sure how to check the Vacuum system but I will research a bit about it and maybe the links might say something about it,,
thanks for all the replies, trying to get it in ASAP to get checked but being a single mum my daughter needs it asap would be nice to find a Vac line off or something,,
thanks again for all replies

·
Registered
2,458 Posts
What did they do during the service?

·
Registered
4,103 Posts
I am not sure but I think it would be a 3 or 4 spd not a five its a 1991 180E, it was serviced a week ago and seems to still be full of nice clean fluid, Ill have a read of the links thank you,, I did check the trans fluid level in park when the motor was running and hot, I wasn't at the time sure if it was the correct way to check this trans but I think its common in Park or Neutral while running,,
Not sure how to check the Vacuum system but I will research a bit about it and maybe the links might say something about it,,
thanks for all the replies, trying to get it in ASAP to get checked but being a single mum my daughter needs it asap would be nice to find a Vac line off or something,,
thanks again for all replies
Don't worry about the vacuum just yet, you have to find out if it is correctly filled first.

Let me go find a picture of the end of your dipstick. BRB.

·
Registered
4,103 Posts
This is the end of your dipstick.

Note between the red and green arrows, if the fluid level is inbetween the arrows your ok on fluid and we can move on.

If it is below the red arrow, you must add more, above the green arrow and it may leak out of the trans (because it is overfull)

Remember the car has to be running, in park and warm when you check it. Wipe the stick off before you check it.

Attachments

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Update,,,,
My Daughter got a phone call from the transmission place and they said they would come to her,, they did and fixed it in about 5 or 10 minutes, he said he loosened off a valve as it was stuck,,, I am not sure about this either if its something so simple, its now working fine, he would have done this with the car on the ground and to fix it so quick I am starting to think that maybe they disrupted something in the service and have just come to her and put it right,,
OR am I just paranoid and too full of doubt with business's these days,
I really want to thank you all for your input, I have told my daughter to find out what a new valve will cost and work towards getting it replaced asap,,
but if this valve fix doesn't sound right I will tell her to hold off on the replacement of the valve,,,

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks Retro and to everyone else that tried to help with this issue, I am sure with the help from this group we would have got to the bottom of it but thankfully the mechanic did a nice thing and came out and sorted it out at no charge to my daughter,,,
Thank you all

·
Registered
1 Posts
The 1992 180es had a 4 speed auto transmission

Mine failed at around 180,000km.
Stuck in second, i think, but it may have been first.

There were one or two warnings before it happened.

Transmission rebuild was to be a $2300 job, but it became $2800, because
a dump valve, a $25 part, was welded onto a bracket, and the two together
were a $600 part.

Sorry about this bad news. I thought 2200 was pretty good for a transmission overhaul.

Shortly after, the transmission oil cooling hoses started leaking, and i lost all atf.
That really should have been picked up with the overhaul.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts