Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
SL500
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've asked the question on a different forum, but I'm still a bit confused by the varied responses. I'm hoping to get a little better understanding on the ride difference when moving from 16" to 18" wheels on the standard SL. Alot of people tell me that 17" isn't too much different than the feel of 18", and MB went to 17" as the standard in 99. I'm thinking of using Dunlop SP9000's on staggered 18" wheels on my 1994 SL500. What's been people's experience with this combination? When people say it's definitely firmer, is it teeth jarring or just a bit firmer? (I, myself, wouldn't mind it the car was a bit firmer.)

Any comments?

·
Registered
sl600
2 Posts
wheel ride

Hello there,
I have had several size wheels on my sl500 and 600. I went from 16's to Carlsson (1 piece)stagered 18's and my ride improved. I now have Brabus (3 piece)19x9.5's all around and have still not noticed any major change in ride. From what I have heard unless you go to 20's you should be real happy with the ride.
best of luck RIck

·
Registered
2 Posts
RE: wheel ride

I agree 16-19" with optimized "rubber" will not disturb you under normal road conditions Putholes in the surface will of cource be more detectable.
You can probably live that performance I can easily.

The car will then be stiffer with additional roadcontat and give a new driving performance (++)

BR
Bogumila of Sweden

·
Premium Member
Black SL 500 1994
1,026 Posts
RE: the larger the wheel size the higher you car will be off

Carlo$ - 9/1/2005 10:01 PM

the road. you will have to compensate by changing springs and struts. i hate high cars!
Hi Carlos,

I believe you have it wrong; as you increase the wheel diameter you'll have to compensate by lowering the profile of the tyre an equal amount, thus maintaining the exact same outer. For example a 16x7.5 inch wheel having a 225/55-16 tire has the exact same outer diameter as a 17x8 inch wheel with a 245/45-17 tire. Again, this has the same outer diameter as having a 18x8 inch wheel with a 245/40-18 tyre, or a 19x9.5 inch wheel with a 275/30-19 tyre...
Have a look at the "Upgrade Garage - Wheels" section on http://www.tirerack.com/index.jsp they have a nice tool to view different wheels on your car and have more info.

·
Premium Member
Black SL 500 1994
1,026 Posts

bogumila - 9/1/2005 9:38 PM

I agree 16-19" with optimized "rubber" will not disturb you under normal road conditions Putholes in the surface will of cource be more detectable.
You can probably live that performance I can easily.

The car will then be stiffer with additional roadcontat and give a new driving performance (++)

BR
Bogumila of Sweden
Hi bogumila, welcome to the forum!

I noticed u are from Sweden and I guess your roads are as crappy as ours here in Finland, so I wanted to ask something as I presume you drive an R129, but do you have experience on both the original 225/55-16 tires and 18-19 inch wheels with wide and low tires (which sizes)?

Do you get more tramlining with the wide/low tires? Usually this should happen with lower/wider profile tires...

How about noise, is there a lot more shake rattle and roll transferred to the chassis and the interior trim, so it suddenly feels like you are in a cheap old Lada/Datsun/Toyota as opposed to a Merc...? (If you know what I mean...?)

I like my original 225/55-16 tires as they are very quiet and comfortable, and the handling on the motorway/highway is very good. But on twistier roads I would prefer more grip and precision, but I believe it is generally impossible to have the best of both worlds…? Also, I think lower and wider tires would look better mounted on larger wheels on the R129…

Erik

·
Registered
'99 SL500; '01 CL600
87 Posts

[/QUOTE]

How about noise, is there a lot more shake rattle and roll transferred to the chassis and the interior trim, so it suddenly feels like you are in a cheap old Lada/Datsun/Toyota as opposed to a Merc...? (If you know what I mean...?)

I like my original 225/55-16 tires as they are very quiet and comfortable, and the handling on the motorway/highway is very good. But on twistier roads I would prefer more grip and precision, but I believe it is generally impossible to have the best of both worlds…? Also, I think lower and wider tires would look better mounted on larger wheels on the R129…

Erik
[/QUOTE]

For looks nothing beats as big as possible I guess. For handling and Benz-like ride the 245/45 R17 95W standard 17" wheels on my '99 seem to be an excellent compromise. No datsun like noises here. Cornering, surprisingly to me, almost as good as my 911. The damn car drives like it's on rails.
18" AMG's look much much nicer though.

Sisu

Attachments

1 - 8 of 8 Posts