Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was told by my mechanic that if i put on 18' wheels on my car, the speedometer won't read the miliage correctly. It would actually be slower than what the speedometer says, it this true?

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
That is not totally true.....

If you use the right size tire to match the diameter of the stock tire which is a combination of how wide the tire is and the profile series, it should still be accurate. If you use the wrong size tire, then yes it will throw your speedometer off. If you go to tirerack.com, find a specific brand and model of tire you like, then click on the spec it will show you the diameter of each tire.

·
Registered
2002 clk 55amg coupé
339 Posts
Which axle gets the speedometer meter?

Does anyone know if the speedometer sensor on a 2002 (w208) CLK 55 AMG is on the front or rear axle ?

I am thinking of increasing the diameter of the rear wheels, by either increasing the rim size to 18 inches or by increasing the profile. I am concerned that this will affect the speedometer. Will it ?

Might other systems like ESP also be affected ?

·
Registered
'05 SL65 AMG
505 Posts
neilbo75 said:
Does anyone know if the speedometer sensor on a 2002 (w208) CLK 55 AMG is on the front or rear axle ?

I am thinking of increasing the diameter of the rear wheels, by either increasing the rim size to 18 inches or by increasing the profile. I am concerned that this will affect the speedometer. Will it ?

Might other systems like ESP also be affected ?
There are speed sensors on each wheel. As previously posted, just match the overall diameter of the original tires. Any tire shop worth dealing with can do this for you in a matter of minutes. Have you checked out the Tire Rack's fitment page on their website?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts