Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
G400 CDI 10/2003
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can someone recommend me what tires to use on the original 18" rims from MB, with acceptable off-road performance?

I am driving my G every day, not only off-road, and I would like to have some reasonable tires for short off-road trips and not be forced to change to 16" wheels every time.

Thank you,

Christian

·
Registered
Mercedes "M32"
961 Posts
Nitto Terra Grappler ... Good Year ATS ... BFGoodrich All-Terrain (If you can find them).

·
BenzWorld G Class Host
2002 800RMK
1,518 Posts
Everybody's idea of off-road varies, as does everybody's perception of acceptable performance.

Thai makes a very good point. I have seen the stock tires perform off-road quite well several times. Thai even took his stock G500 in a trail with TONS of sharp rocks and opportunities for puncture. The handled it just fine. I have also seen a couple different trucks handle trail in Moab Utah very well. That venue is mostly hard rock surfaces and some sand.

It is probably bets though to fit an All Terrain tire of some sort. There are no perfect solutions IMO, other than the 16" wheels. In the US we get a different wheel offset I think. The BFG AT in 285/65-18 seems a great solution on the right wheels. Unfortunately I think they will rub on your truck.

You mention 16" wheels and switching back and forth. If you have a set of 16's, why not just run them all the time and forget about the 18" wheels all together?

·
Registered
G400 CDI 10/2003
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The stock Yokohama tires performed quite well on rocks, but not so well on wet grass and mud. I live in a mountain area and until I get up where the forest ends and the rocks start we have muddy roads or I drive directly on grass slopes and in the spring everything is wet.

With the 16" wheels (265/70R16) the car feel a little wavy on the highway or at high speeds. Also the noise is higher.

I like also the design of the original 18" rims.

Christian

·
Registered
G400 CDI 10/2003
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I forgot to say that tried to find BFG 285/65R18, but I was unsuccesful.

Speaking about these tires, is there any problem that they have a slightly bigger diameter than the original 265/60R18 (+4.3%)? Can you fell the impact of such a difference on torque/braking or at high speed cornering or it is nothing? I am driving at 75 mph currently on the road.

Cristian

·
Registered
G 500
1,079 Posts
christian_g - 5/7/2005 10:54 AM
Can you fell the impact of such a difference on torque/braking or at high speed cornering or it is nothing? I am driving at 75 mph currently on the road.

Cristian
Yes, they will not work properly, because the ETS,ESP,ABS and the transmission shifting will be far away from standard. Error messages will follow ...
AT's in 18 do not exist in a size you asked for and which will work perfect with the car.
The only exception is a new one from Dunlop, an AT in 255-55-18, but this one is lower than your 265-60-18, but this size can be activated in the car electronics ( via speedo with the STAR diagnostics ).

·
Registered
G 500
1,079 Posts
Just checked the tire list.
A better option for you is this one here in 18 ":

285/60R18 114H Dunlop Grandtrek AT2

Change the electronics via STAR to : 235-85-16
This size is programmed for a 400 CDI, is identical with 285/60/18 just has to be activated.

·
Registered
G400 CDI 10/2003
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Very good idea to change the car's setup! I knew that G electronics can work with other sizes, but I was focused only on the tire itself and I missed this solution. Thanks Thomas!

I'll have to change the 16" wheels to 265/75R16. The diameter will be 1" bigger that the stock tires, but this will give me additional 0.5" ground clearance and that is good. It looks to me that the G can accommodate 1" bigger wheels with no problem.

Thanks to all,

Christian

1 - 11 of 11 Posts