Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2002 108 cdi
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
hi everyone , got a 108 cdi with 17 " wheels at the moment (unlowered) and you guessed it i want bigger wheels and lowering springs . I 've managed to find some springs at a good price which will lower the van 45 mm ( which seems the max without new shockers) . Got my eye on some 18 " wheels so as soon as fund allow gonna take the plunge !!!

OR DO I ???

Just been speaking to a guy at the beach with a lowered vito who told me in no uncertain terms to go ahead and lower the van but to stick with the 17 " wheels . The reason - MASHED TYRES !!! I get pretty fast and uneven tyre wear at the moment so i nee some GOOD ADVICE !!!!

CAN ANYONE HELP ME ??? :confused:

·
Registered
60 Posts
hi everyone , got a 108 cdi with 17 " wheels at the moment (unlowered) and you guessed it i want bigger wheels and lowering springs . I 've managed to find some springs at a good price which will lower the van 45 mm ( which seems the max without new shockers) . Got my eye on some 18 " wheels so as soon as fund allow gonna take the plunge !!!

OR DO I ???

Just been speaking to a guy at the beach with a lowered vito who told me in no uncertain terms to go ahead and lower the van but to stick with the 17 " wheels . The reason - MASHED TYRES !!! I get pretty fast and uneven tyre wear at the moment so i nee some GOOD ADVICE !!!!

CAN ANYONE HELP ME ??? :confused:
Hi,

If you are getting uneven tyre wear I would get you van checked out first, the tracking may need looking at. I have 17" O.Z's on my Vito with lowered suspension and I don't experience any uneven tyre wear.

Duncan
Circumference Wheels

·
Registered
2002 108 cdi
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hi ,
had the tracking done , and get the same result , either wear on the insides or outsides of the tyres !!!

·
Registered
60 Posts
hi ,
had the tracking done , and get the same result , either wear on the insides or outsides of the tyres !!!
Have you got alloys on it that are defiantly suitable for a Vito? Also, have you had the suspension geometry checked? Something sounds a bit strange to me, like I said I have 17" alloys on mine and I haven't had any problems.

What size tyres have you got on it?

Duncan
Circumference Wheels

·
Registered
Bandwidth
3,256 Posts
Are the rears even on wear? My V230 has 17"s and no wear problem at all - you should get both the steering/alignment geometry and the alloys checked but NOT from the Kwik-Fit & Co joints!

·
Registered
Viano Extra Long, Black, 20" alloys and Chrome bars, "I aint gettin on no damn plane...crazy fool".
62 Posts
You have a number of things to consider on this.

Firstly get a full geometry check. These vehicles are extremely adjustable (castor/camber as well as tracking on the front) and tracking and castor on the rear.

I lowered my V-Class front and had to have it all reset. Although the tracking wasnt affected the camber was well out.

As for the wheels, there are plenty of threads on here. you can go for 18" but be careful not to exceed 7.5J and fo for a maximum offset of around ET50.

I was speaking to someone on Benzworld about 17" 7.5J and he has posted some pics and the wheels stich out past the rear arches (no not just the tyres, the wheels too) which will lead to scrubbing when lowered, loaded, or cornering hard.

Its a bit of a mine field. I have been looking for the "right wheels" for a while now.

I tried a 17" set from an A class Evo ET50 (same as fitted to the C-Class coupe but this has ET35) and they fitted perfectly and were as close to the arch as you'de want to go.

main advice - be careful as too wide and youre in trouble. You can get the wheel arches "rolled" where they turn the lip upward but if they just out passed the arch they will rub whatever you do.

Ide stick to 17" 7J ET45 and no more. There are some 18" packages from ebay so best to ring and see what the width and offset they are and what tyres they recommend and stay within this.

Hope this pic helps.

Attachments

·
Registered
Brabus V230 supercharged & Mercedes Vito 108 CDI (chipped to 125bhp)
8 Posts
Hi, I had AMG 17's on my vito, very wide with no problems, steering was stiffer though. I have a V230 now with brabus lowered suspension - very low! Fitted with 18" alloys and I must say it looks fantastic! But, and it is a big but! If you go over a medium sized pothole, pavement, etc... you will get a slit in your tyre, I have a few already and they are not from high speed either. At nearly £200 for each tyre, it does not make me very happy. Pity about the state of London's roads!

·
Registered
ML63 AMG & 2 350 SLK with AMG kit.
2,488 Posts
You have a number of things to consider on this.

Firstly get a full geometry check. These vehicles are extremely adjustable (castor/camber as well as tracking on the front) and tracking and castor on the rear.

I lowered my V-Class front and had to have it all reset. Although the tracking wasnt affected the camber was well out.

As for the wheels, there are plenty of threads on here. you can go for 18" but be careful not to exceed 7.5J and fo for a maximum offset of around ET50.

I was speaking to someone on Benzworld about 17" 7.5J and he has posted some pics and the wheels stich out past the rear arches (no not just the tyres, the wheels too) which will lead to scrubbing when lowered, loaded, or cornering hard.

Its a bit of a mine field. I have been looking for the "right wheels" for a while now.

I tried a 17" set from an A class Evo ET50 (same as fitted to the C-Class coupe but this has ET35) and they fitted perfectly and were as close to the arch as you'de want to go.

main advice - be careful as too wide and youre in trouble. You can get the wheel arches "rolled" where they turn the lip upward but if they just out passed the arch they will rub whatever you do.

Ide stick to 17" 7J ET45 and no more. There are some 18" packages from ebay so best to ring and see what the width and offset they are and what tyres they recommend and stay within this.

Hope this pic helps.
What size tyre is that?

·
Registered
5 Posts
hi guys just thought i might tell you on my van the vito is lowered and inside it has full camping gear rock roll bed heavy tool bok and 6 surfboards as i cant be arsed to put on roof i run 18s on it i got of e bay new they stick out of arches 1 inch and only when i drive over shitty gravel roads etc it bottoms out idunno what all the fuss is i think your fine i see someone with 20 inch wheels on a vito now they looked a bit weird but each to there own but it is scary spending money on eheels and tyre but ebay can save you pounds hop e this help s you

·
Registered
73 Posts
stick with the 17 " wheels . The reason - MASHED TYRES !!! I get pretty fast and uneven tyre wear at the moment so i nee some GOOD ADVICE !!!!
Just finished with my second set of 18" tyres - 40k miles in all. Perfectly even tyre wear.
You can get tyres now with rim protection, so don't worry about scuffing. Don;t just get any alloys that fit the studs.....
http://www.benzworld.org/forums/v-class/1354911-looking-alloy-wheels-dont-know-what.html

Road noise will be increased, but going from 17" to 18" dia will not affect tyre wear. Going wider might. Mine are 8" wide rims and fine. If anything, I would say 8" is excessive on the front and causes a bit of tramlining.

Tracking is like 4 star petrol - thing of the past. Anyone trying to track a vito with a pair of tracking gauges is going to mess up your van for you. You need all 4 wheels to be laser aligned. IME even these guys can be a bunch of monkeys, so get recommendations first. :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
well im not sure i can help but illl say the same as everyone else buy branded alloys and keep ofset same also make sure you get bolts added to the sale
i have 20s on mine and that was a tuff fit as they stuck out at the back fronts are fine
i got cutting the rear arch to fit them that was a fun job looks sweet now ill add pic one day
so ill say go bigger then you think like even go 19s as you prob will anyway bigger alloy lower profile bumpier ride

·
Registered
2002 108 cdi
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
18 " its sweet so far ..........

Hi everyone,
just noticed that people were adding to this thread started by me some time ago . Well just to let u all know i got the mods done about 3 months ago . Lowered the van 40 mm with pi springs , and put 18's on (7.5 wide offset 45). Am i happy with the result ?
Well some would say i'm never happy , but on this occasion i'd say i'm 95 % there !!! The lowering although only 40mm definately improves the looks , and i suppose my verdict would be pretty much the same as others comments , great at the back but could do with perhaps 20mm more at the front . Anyone with any common would expect this result though given the massive gap in the front arch to start with !!! As for the wheels well it's pretty much the same result here as well , great at the back ( do not stick out , flush with bodywork ) At the front stick out maybe 1/4 inch which i suppose isn't that bad considering some i've seen !!!!
My advice , definately fit these springs ( only £150 off ebay ) but if you want perfection as it were go for an offset of 50 or even 55 .
Oh i nearly forgot , had the van tracked when the springs were fitted and so far i think the tyres are wearing evenly !!!!
Hope this advice helps someone out there !!!!

·
Registered
Viano Extra Long, Black, 20" alloys and Chrome bars, "I aint gettin on no damn plane...crazy fool".
62 Posts
Hi,

Sorry for not replying for a while. The tyre size on the 17" evos was 215/60/17 which are the same rolling radius as the tyres that were on the 16" rims (almost).

If I can just qualify wht I meant from the last thread, you need to be careful on the offset if, like me, you have a V-class as the air suspension allows the wheels to sometimes dissappear into the arches when loading heavy stuff before the compressor pumps it back up. Thats why you need to make sure the tyres/wheels dont just out. The Vitos with springs dont seem to do this which is why you can just about get away with the standard Merc 35mm offset although I personally think this offset makes the alloys tick out too much.

As for the lowering, I have lowered mine 40mm on H&R springs but the ride is too harsh for an old person like me so I have ordered new standard shox and am going to cut the standard springs down and will fit them and let you know how it goes.

If I cut them down too far the van will sit too low and will bottom out on the weakened spring and the front tyres might scrape the arches. If I dont cut them down enough it wont make a difference to the ride height and Ive wasted my time and ruined a good spring but its a gamble I will take.

Problem is that 40mm is not low enough but to do it officially ide need shorter shox and a ride so hard ide need a new set of teeth every 10k miles. As for my passengers (being a people carrier rather than a van..........ouch).

Anybody want the H&R springs? only been on 6 months and about 2k miles as it sits on the drive. Am putting the 17" evos on as soon as the right size wheel bolts arrive.

I will also have the 16" original alloys if someone is interested. 4 good tyres.

Cheers.

·
Registered
Vito 112CDI
147 Posts
scrwrobinson...

Anybody want the H&R springs? only been on 6 months and about 2k miles as it sits on the drive.

Have you still got 'em? If so, I'm interested - been trying to source some springs for a couple of weeks now...PI on ebay is about it (somebody told me they were shit!), did source some MAD SUSPENSION springs (google it - they look pretty good but a bit of an unknown) but H&R seems the way to go.

Actually this is a shout out to everyone on here - anyone got any lowering springs for sale: Eibach, H&R, etc.?

Fitted some 18s with 245/40/18 XL tyres (wheel is 42 offset) rears will be ok with a bit of arch rolling...I reckon the fronts has got so much space to play with, I don't have to do anything! Dropping it 30-40mm should sort it out...besides, getting fed up with the wallow/roll around bends!

Let me know about springs!

Hopeful Fuzz

·
Registered
S350 BlueTec 2010
600 Posts
Hi everyone,
just noticed that people were adding to this thread started by me some time ago . Well just to let u all know i got the mods done about 3 months ago . Lowered the van 40 mm with pi springs , and put 18's on (7.5 wide offset 45). Am i happy with the result ?
Well some would say i'm never happy , but on this occasion i'd say i'm 95 % there !!! The lowering although only 40mm definately improves the looks , and i suppose my verdict would be pretty much the same as others comments , great at the back but could do with perhaps 20mm more at the front . Anyone with any common would expect this result though given the massive gap in the front arch to start with !!! As for the wheels well it's pretty much the same result here as well , great at the back ( do not stick out , flush with bodywork ) At the front stick out maybe 1/4 inch which i suppose isn't that bad considering some i've seen !!!!
My advice , definately fit these springs ( only £150 off ebay ) but if you want perfection as it were go for an offset of 50 or even 55 .
Oh i nearly forgot , had the van tracked when the springs were fitted and so far i think the tyres are wearing evenly !!!!
Hope this advice helps someone out there !!!!
Hi, I was thinking of buying the PI springs for my W639. Are they good quality? What is the ride like now?
Are they easy to fit?
Thanks

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have lowered my vito traveliner 35mm rear and 50mm front, since doing so the van doesn't like corners at times, it is as if either something is rubbing but more like the power is being pulled from the drive, like the diff is playing up. Could this be a simple thing like wheel alignment? Help needed as I have just had it resprayed and want to get it sorted for family trip!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts