Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I purchased a 02 CLK320 and I am getting rims here very shortly. I am looking to get some 'replica' Mercedes rims and found a few I like.

18 X 8.0 & 18 X 9.0
OR
19 X 8.5 & 19 X 8.5

What will be the better option in regards to looks, good ride, ect. without having to make any suspension adjustments.

I know tires for the 19 inch are more but I also am thinking this will allow me to rotate tires from front to back as well.

Any feedback is appreciated

·
Registered
2004 SL55 AMG, 2006 E500
1,029 Posts
I just ordered my new ones about 5 minutes ago. I went with 18x8.5 / 18x9.5.

I stayed with 18 for performance. I'm sure there's not much difference in performane with 19, but I really don't want to lose any performance. I just drive too hard.

I do admit that not being able to rotate is a real PIA and expensive. I could likely get twice the life out of my tires if I could rotate.

In the end, you have to just look at how you drive. Do you want it to hold up to higher performance knowing that you'll likely double your new tire budget or do you take it easy driving and save some money?

Bottom line... if I didn't drive "The Lady" like a cheap whore, I'd set it up so I could rotate the wheels and save some cash.

·
Premium Member
2012 C300 Sport 4Matic and 2003 CLK430 Cabrio
1,919 Posts
There is not a big gain in performance by going to 19". I would go 18".

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Is there a huge difference in 'looks' with a 19 inch vs. 18 inch rim? Seems like the 'majority' of the members are running with 19 inch rims.

Also whats everyones opinion on black rims vs. chrome on a silver car?

·
Premium Member
2012 C300 Sport 4Matic and 2003 CLK430 Cabrio
1,919 Posts
If your going to go all out, buy a kit and drop it, 19" will look better. If you go 19" do it right. If not, get new spring pads and go 18".

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
acarter53 said:
If your going to go all out, buy a kit and drop it, 19" will look better. If you go 19" do it right. If not, get new spring pads and go 18".
Not really looking to go all out. This is my 'almost everyday' driver as I drive it a few days about 40 miles to and from work. I also have a little 96 BWM 318ti with 188k on it that is my main commuter car.

I am looking to just mainly improve the looks of the car without spending mucho bucks. I am not interested in changing out the suspension, front bumpers, ect. just mainly some rims, tint, and maybe minor tweaks.

Also since it will be my semi daily driver thats why I had the question of rotating tires with the 19's vs. staggered. I take it somewhat easy on the car for the most part as well. ;)

·
Registered
2003 SL500, 2000 S500 Lorinser, 2006 SL, 06 Bentley GT
111 Posts
Stick with the 18"....I put 20"s on my s500 and can't stand the ride. It's not worth it unless you want a better look.

·
Registered
w208
1,462 Posts
COPECLK320 said:
Is there a huge difference in 'looks' with a 19 inch vs. 18 inch rim? Seems like the 'majority' of the members are running with 19 inch rims.

Also whats everyones opinion on black rims vs. chrome on a silver car?
i went with 18" black as u can see in my sig....i chose 18 cuz the roads around jersey sukkkk....but time to time i really do be thinkin they look too small n i think i will be doin 19" by next yr as long as it aint too bad with the 18s....however i stil really like em n think they look good....

as for the color question...chrome on silver looks bad in my opinion...thas y i went with black....you should probably do some other minor adjustments to your car to make the black rims work correctly tho.....my cars in sum construction rite now but it will b dun rite by prob june....

·
Registered
01 CLK55 & 00 ML55
863 Posts
19 def looks a little better. It's a fairly noticable difference once it's lowered. You'll need to lower the car if you get 19s. I don't feel that I've lost much performance, if any with mine. Unless theyre really cheap and heavy wheels, the weight shouldn't be enough to kill your performance. 18's arent bad.

The only complaint i have with 19s is that the atlanta roads SUCK and my heart drops everytime i hit a pothole. I have to drive very carefully on the bad streets. But we have holes that are 6 inches deep and those stupid steel plates everywhere. you'll have to be a little more gentle, but it looks killer. if i lived in my hometown where the roads are normal it would be no problem

·
Registered
01 CLK55 & 00 ML55
863 Posts
BTW, 8.5 and 9.5 is sweet. 19x8.5 and 19x9.5 fit nicely. Can't rotate, but it sure does look good from the back!! Makes it slightly more agressive looking.

·
Registered
Mercedes CLK 230 cab
6 Posts
I have just purchased new wheels and I believe that 18" is enough.
My car 18" 8,5 front 18" 9,5 rear.

·
Registered
2000 CLK320 Cabrio, 1999 E320, 1994 S320
171 Posts
Wow, that looks a lot like my car.

Prana, if you want knock-offs, get them from Velocity Motoring -- Home

They are in Cali somewhere....the wheels always fit perfectly and the finish is remarkable.

~1400USD for 19" with rubber including lug bolts, benz centrecaps, mounting & balancing, and shipping....can't go wrong.

I've ordered about 10 sets from them.

·
Registered
2004 SL55 AMG, 2006 E500
1,029 Posts
I didn't see the 9.5 on their site. Mine will be delivered early next week. I was just curious about any rubbing issues with the rears.

·
Registered
Mercedes CLK 230 cab
6 Posts
Purchased from dealer in Sweden. it is a perfect fit with the rear wheels. The dim on the rear tyres is 265 - 35 - R18. Paid about 1500 USD for wheels. tyres, bolts, mounting & balancing and shipping.

·
Registered
CLK 430 AMG
821 Posts
i would go with the 18x8.5f 18x9r, that's what i have on mine. I like the 19's look, but i just don't want to run into any problems down the road, so i'll stay w/18's...bigger isn't always better to me!! just depends on your taste!!!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
mr pink said:
I have just purchased new wheels and I believe that 18" is enough.
My car 18" 8,5 front 18" 9,5 rear.

Do you have any suspension work done or is this stock suspension with the rims?

Great looking by the way. I was looking at the same rims but in Black.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts