Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1995 SL320
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,
First post here. Spent the last two months or so learning from all the experts on this forum. Let me say in advance, thank you for all I have learned already...what a great site this is!
Ok, just bought a set of really nice 18 " AMG's off of a E320 wagon to put on my 1995 SL320.
Currently have stock 16x8 rims ( 34mm offset)with 225/55-16 tires all around.
New rims and tires are : 18x8 ( 30 offset) 245/40-18 front
18x9 ( 39 offset) 265/35-18 rear
now, from all my reading on this site I believe the front will fit as is. The rear, I already know I will need spacers. My question is whats the ideal size spacers to use on the rear?
Stock setup is 16x8 34 offset
using the offset calculator, the new 18x8 30 offset front will give me 4mm more clearance on the inner and extend the tire 4mm on the outer. Think this will be fine.
On the rear 18x9 39 offset, without spacers it gives me 18mm less clearance on inner and extends 8mm on the outer. I already know, THIS WILL NOT WORK.
So, whats the ideal spacer?
Sounds like a lot of guys run 18x9.5 with a 23 offset in rear. This would give me ( from my stock setup) 8mm less clearance on inner and extend 30mm on outer. Can you really extend 30mm on the outer without hitting the fender wells??
I was thinking about a 10mm spacer. This would give me 8mm less clearance on inner from stock, and extend 18mm on outer...

Any suggestions or help would really be appreciated.
Oh, and I already bought the wheels, so I really want to make this work. Seems easy enough with the right spacer..

thanks

·
Registered
2000 Obsidian Black Metallic Mercedes SL 320 V6
4,527 Posts
RJC_MD hello and welcome in our big and international friendly family :) and thanks for updating your profile already :).

Unfortunately I can't comment on the offset and spacers but althought the front set up is the correct one for 18" rims the rears might cause you Cruise Control and ABS and ASR problems since the correct spec for the rear tires since the specified size is 275/35 due to a much greater difference in circumference between fronts and rears than the tolerate 3% ending up in a car in Limp Home Mode (LHM).

Cheers.

·
Registered
Departed 1998 SL500 (and the Pano is in Bogota)
10,970 Posts
Besides the fit of the wheels/spacers/tires, make sure you also address the fitments of lug bolts too.

·
Registered
1995 SL320
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
msbarsi,

thanks. With regards to the "rears might cause you Cruise Control and ABS and ASR problems since the correct spec for the rear tires since the specified size is 275/35 due to a much greater difference in circumference between fronts and rears than the tolerate 3% ending up in a car in Limp Home Mode (LHM)."

I looked at this on one on the tire tools available online. Looks like I will only be off about 1 1/2 % on the tolerance so I'm not expecting any problems there...but thanks for the heads up.

And as far as the spacer goes, I think I'm going with 5mm spacers in the rear. This would get me right around the same spec. as a 18x9 wheel with a 35mm offset. Seems like this is what is recommended.

thanks, again

1 - 4 of 4 Posts