Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
111.010 121.942 202.033
1,850 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are the rims on the G55K the same rims offered as an option for 2002 G500s? Will the extra inch of width be better if I want to fit Nitto Terra Grapplers?

Have any of the widths and offsets changed here in the USA for the 02-05 G500s, 03-04 G55, and the 05 G55K?

Thanks,

Dave

·
Registered
00 g500
2,289 Posts
all the info is basically on haralds site 4x4abc.com

The stocks g500 18's are the same since 2002. There are amg rims on the market that were sold before the g55 was available (i think TH and Harald have them on their g's) and think those are et48 and 8.5 inches wide as opposed to the 7.5 inches of the g500 rim. The g55 i think has always come with 9.5 inches wide and et50.

Technically yes, the wider rims will fit the nitto's better but the sidewall is more exposed. What actual result you get... i don't know... are the 9.5's too wide? whats the spec on the nitto's

·
Registered
Mercedes "M32"
961 Posts
ewalberg - 3/29/2005 1:01 PM

all the info is basically on haralds site 4x4abc.com

The stocks g500 18's are the same since 2002. There are amg rims on the market that were sold before the g55 was available (i think TH and Harald have them on their g's) and think those are et48 and 8.5 inches wide as opposed to the 7.5 inches of the g500 rim. The g55 i think has always come with 9.5 inches wide and et50.

Technically yes, the wider rims will fit the nitto's better but the sidewall is more exposed. What actual result you get... i don't know... are the 9.5's too wide? whats the spec on the nitto's
I had the 285-60-18 Nittos on my 9" wide AMG's and they fit PERFECTLY. Even better IMO than my current BFG's. I do believe the 9.5's will work just fine as well.

·
Registered
111.010 121.942 202.033
1,850 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
http://www.nittotire.com/tires_terragrappler.asp - click SIZES AND SPECS.

The Nittos "require" a wider rim than 7.5. I figured it wasn't that big of a deal but another lister thought they didn't fit the G500 rims very well and returned them.

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=1202105&posts=14&fid=30

I was wondering if a wider rim would solve that problem. So the G500 "optional" AMG rims are 8.5 while the G55 AMG rims are 9.5???

Not sure I want to go that wide. I think my truck would look pretty stupid with the tires sticking out that far and I really don't want the spray associated with the tires past the wheel arches.

Just looking at options. The 18" options for a competent AT tire are improving slowly.

·
Registered
00 g500
2,289 Posts
mb230's...

technically speaking, for any given tire width, the amount they stick out relative to the wheel arches is defined by the offset of the rim and not the width of the rim. Meaning the Nitto's will stick out wider on your 18's than on the AMG 18's, because your rims have less offset than those. The nitto's will stick out more about 1cm than stock though, but that's because they're 2cm wider overall... and they should stick out a little less with the AMG's.

If you don't want tires to stick out any more, then you need to look for 265 series tires, or get some et63 18's like mine so the rim is pulled in a little to better offset extra width of a 285 series tire.

·
Registered
111.010 121.942 202.033
1,850 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
RE: mb230's...

ewalberg - 3/29/2005 1:44 PM

technically speaking, for any given tire width, the amount they stick out relative to the wheel arches is defined by the offset of the rim and not the width of the rim. Meaning the Nitto's will stick out wider on your 18's than on the AMG 18's, because your rims have less offset than those. The nitto's will stick out more about 1cm than stock though, but that's because they're 2cm wider overall... and they should stick out a little less with the AMG's.

If you don't want tires to stick out any more, then you need to look for 265 series tires, or get some et63 18's like mine so the rim is pulled in a little to better offset extra width of a 285 series tire.
I've been scouring for pictures of the G55 - the rims do appear to be sitting farther outside the sheetmetal. The wider flares keep them in check, but I bet the distance measured from the outside edge of the rims on one side of the truck to the other side is wider than a G500. I defintely do not want the 63ET rims. The tires will rub which really limits my options. I'm just concerned if the Nittos will fit the 7.5" rim correctly. I'll probably try the Discount Tire 30 day trial.

·
Registered
2004 MB G500 Black
1,175 Posts

ewalberg - 3/29/2005 1:44 PM
get some et63 18's like mine so the rim is pulled in a little to better offset extra width of a 285 series tire.
If he gets your rims, then he may not be able to fit the Nittos without rubbing.

·
Registered
2004 MB G500 Black
1,175 Posts

mb230s - 3/29/2005 2:06 PM
I'm just concerned if the Nittos will fit the 7.5" rim correctly. I'll probably try the Discount Tire 30 day trial.
They will fit fine...just the look of it is what bothered me a little. Discount Tire people were more than happy to install...and they have to worry about covering their a$$. You should have no problems, but just know what to expect from a larger & wider tire. Make sure you get MB to recalibrate your computer.

Good luck. BTW, i may be selling the spare tire adaptor if you want it.

·
Registered
00 g500
2,289 Posts
harald...

mb230's you could get a 15 inch wide rim but if the offset is 43 it's not going to change where your tread hits the road. Yes, the rim will actually be outboard more, as will the tires bead, but the rim doesn't throw mud, and rim width doesn't affect the location of the tread... offset does. The reason the G55 tires are more outboard is the 285 series tire... they also look more outboard because the rim reaches further out, but the centerline of the tread is inboard. And with that said, it really hasn't been verified that the increased offset of the AMG rims will actually allow the use of those tires... they should logically be closer to having the rubbing associated with the et63 rims.

Harald, maybe you can take a quick snap shot of your truck since you've got the amg 18's that are 8.5" wide with et48 and the stock yokohama g500 (265 series) tires. Looking from the front of the car you can't tell it has non-stock rims becasue the tread is centered about a wheel that is et48... the beads are pulled a half inch wider on each side so the sidewalls might be in the same place as on the standard g500 18's, but the centerline of the tread is actually inboard of the stock g500 18's.

basically i would put some money down that the nitto's on stock g500 rims throw more mud on the side of the truck than the nitto's on the AMG rims and it's becuase they have less offset for any given tire.

·
Registered
111.010 121.942 202.033
1,850 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The rim is 2"s wider - that much rim/tire can not be moved inboard the full 2". MB put wider flares on the G55 for good reason. We can split hairs if the rim or the tire is out farther, regardless it will create a situation I don't want. I think the G500 AMG rims would be okay but if I was to buy new rims they would be the 16" version that looks like my 18". Just curious more than anything when I started this post. I'll probably go Saigon's route and take the DiscountTire 30 day trial.

·
Registered
111.010 121.942 202.033
1,850 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

saigonsmuggler - 3/29/2005 3:06 PM

mb230s - 3/29/2005 2:06 PM
I'm just concerned if the Nittos will fit the 7.5" rim correctly. I'll probably try the Discount Tire 30 day trial.
They will fit fine...just the look of it is what bothered me a little. Discount Tire people were more than happy to install...and they have to worry about covering their a$$. You should have no problems, but just know what to expect from a larger & wider tire. Make sure you get MB to recalibrate your computer.

Good luck. BTW, i may be selling the spare tire adaptor if you want it.
I carry the spare inside. Thanks anyway!

·
Registered
00 g500
2,289 Posts
not be beat a dead horse...

Not to beat a dead horse but i'm not really spitting hairs here. Are we talking cosmetics or function? If you don't want outside edge of the rims to be further out... then you can't use the AMG's at all. If you don't want the outside edge of the tire tread to stick further out, then you need to not get 285 series tires... and any amg rims would help you given the same tire choice because they have less offset.

Also, just in case you haven't checked, all 16's from mb are et63 so those aren't an option for you either... at least no more so than the et63 18's.

·
Registered
111.010 121.942 202.033
1,850 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
RE: not be beat a dead horse...

ewalberg - 3/29/2005 4:30 PM

Not to beat a dead horse but i'm not really spitting hairs here. Are we talking cosmetics or function? If you don't want outside edge of the rims to be further out... then you can't use the AMG's at all. If you don't want the outside edge of the tire tread to stick further out, then you need to not get 285 series tires... and any amg rims would help you given the same tire choice because they have less offset.

Also, just in case you haven't checked, all 16's from mb are et63 so those aren't an option for you either... at least no more so than the et63 18's.
Function - unless you consider having crap thrown all over the side of my car cosmetic. I've done oversize tires that stick out past the flares before on my old Cherokee. The winter slush covers the windows relatively quickly and is a PITA. Look at a G55 - which I have now done in person. The wheels/tires/rims/lugnuts/tire stem stick out past the sheet metal much more than on a G500. They have bigger flares for this reason. On my G500 with the stock flares it would look stupid (cosmetic) and throw mud/salt/dirt all over the side of my car.

16" gives better options even at 63 and there are more tires for a narrower rim. There are almost no options with 18"s @ 63. The G500 AMGs would probably be the best 18" rim option b/c of the width, but I'd like a head/tail shot of Haralds to see the difference.

Like I said, I'll give the Nittos a try, hopefully being less than the minimum rim width is for legal bs reasons. I may keep my eyes out for some dope that has the G500 AMG rims to sell b/c of 22" spinners purchase.

·
Registered
00 g500
2,289 Posts
RE: not be beat a dead horse...

i think the g500 amg's harald has would suite your truck well if you want to keep the 18's. There's a recycler in germany that had some good condition g320 rims... (posted here a long time abo) maybe they have a set of the amg g500's 18's.

The toyo open country a/t is probably the only tire i'd buy for my 18's... silly limited. If you went with the 16's you'd get even better spray coverage. My truck stays surprisingly clean, but i think it has much to do with the our running boards.

·
Registered
2005 g500
316 Posts

actually, the amg wheels will stick out further, even though they are ET50 as opposed to the stock et43

the reason for this is that they are wider by a fair amount (2in) and the ET is measured off the centerline of the rim

so like its more like this visually (though this is gross and very inaccurate)

amg: et50, 9.5in wide

_____|___

stock: et43, 7.5in wide
____|_

·
Registered
00 g500
2,289 Posts
belosch,

Honestly you have to draw where the wheel bolt face is, then the rim width including offset, and then you need to draw them with the same tire if you want to know what the rim does alone. If i put 285's on my truck it's gonna stick out 1cm more on each side of the rim. And if you put 265's on your 9.5's it'd look narrower that it does currently.

the g55 rim puts the bead of the tire 2.5cm (inch inch)- 0.7 (offset difference) = 1.8cm (.71") more than the stock g500 rims. with the 285 series tire you get another 1 cm for 1.1" wider overall. Since the tread can't get any wider, with a 265 series tire, has to stay center over the beads, which means the side wall of the tire will probably be pulled out maybe half of the increase in the bead separate... about .35. Then if you consider the 7mm increase in offset of the g55 rims you lose about .27" to the offset... so you left with about maybe .05" wider overall... at best .35" wider if miraculously the sidewall of the tire moves out exactly as much as the beads, which simply isn't true.

·
Registered
2005 g500
316 Posts
RE: belosch,

I know, i was just listing a possible reason why the amg wheels looked like they stuck out farther. I don't remember what tires were on the g55 stock when i bought it and i dont have the truck anymore to go look now, but i do remember that it had a wider stance than my g500 does now. i can tell from the tire marks in my garage that i ahve to remember to clean before i seal it [B)]

I did the math on how much further out the wheels at some point. I dont have the exact numbers anymore but basically the amg wheels are about ~2cm bigger on the inside and the outside than the non-amg wheels for the G. I know that tires are going to change this, but you are still starting with a wheel thats about 2cm bigger which was the point i was trying to make.

i know you can put wider tires on a narrow rim and it increases the overall width of your wheel for rubbing/clearance stuff. but if you start off with a wheel thats alread 2cm bigger overall, your end result is still going to be bigger, maybe not 2cm, but its still going to be bigger.

i dont know, im probably wrong but it doesnt seem correct to me that putting the same size tire on a narrow wheel and a wide wheel will net the same overall size tire/wheel combo. maybe im wrong about it though, if i am im sorry in advance
[8D]

anyway, i was just trying to point something out that i didnt think anyone was paying attention to not step on anyones toes

---
edits because i need grammar checkers installed in my
head

·
Registered
00 g500
2,289 Posts
RE: belosch,

i basically agree with what you wrote... i'm just stressing that it's he offset and the tire width that have the most impact on what gets thrown onto the side of the car, and the rim width is more incremental at least for the rim widths changes we're talking about. The overall sticking out width of the system is basically directionly proportional to the offset and 50% to tire width with about 25% to effect from rim width.

The assumption i'm making is that if you change the offset one inch you move eveything out one inch. If on the same rims you make the tires one inch wider you get .5" more outside width, but maybe as low as .25", and if you make the rims 1 inch wider on the same tire you probably get about .25" additional outside width. which is how a 25mm wider rim can be mostly recoverd by a 5mm change in offset for the same tire.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts