Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

61 - 71 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
536 Posts
On my fronts I’m only running 3 or 5mm spacers (can’t recall which) so the wheels still are sitting on the wheel hubs/centered by the hubs..

·
Premium Member
2,332 Posts
Am I looking at this issue the wrong way or would it not be easier/less issues in the long run to simply have some sized and fitted centre caps, possibly ones that include the grease cap in the design made up VS. fitting spacers?

I will never run rings or spacers.

·
Registered
215 Posts
I was chasing these rims for my 85 SEC but I think the idea of raised center caps would ruin the look and I'm not going to run spacers either. They have the 16x8 and 16x9(maybe staggered) 😊penta type with an et 11/12 they should fit okay with no issues? I just thought these days the 17" would be more common and fit the space better as well as tyres being cheaper these days.

·
Outstanding Contributor
21,823 Posts
Would never put crappy repros on my classic. Period correct original rims or the original oz three piece. If you cant afford it, then save until you can. The headache of crappy quality, never correct balance, ease of damage and cracks are not worth it. Plus they dont look at all like the originals!!

That’s a pretty ironic comment when it seems that most of the sets of original 3 piece OZ AMG wheels are actually cracked. And no reports of the reps cracking. LOL

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
11 Posts
Get back to me in 30 years, let me know how those repros hold up lol. Ive had repros of various types of amg wheels when i was younger. And ive had issues with all of them, poor balancing, cheap materials, all of them cracked over the years. Since then i have only put original forged wheels or there oem counterparts on any of my expensive cars. Of course there can be issues with oem, but seldom do i ever see it in my car group/clubs... just my .02 cents cheers.

·
Premium Member
4,188 Posts
I agree totally - when i first got my white coupe a did not know better and bought knock-off AMG SL500 18" rims made in China (1 piece cast with fake screws as the original were 2 piece forged). They looked ok but after a period of time kept going out of balance and i had vibration issues even with good brand new tires. Wheel shop re-balanced them a number of times and problem kept coming back.
I got sick of the issue and sold them off cheap.
Never had that issue since using genuine wheels

Not saying these wheels will have the same issue - it just put me off and any knock-off rim that is sold cheap means lower grade/quality material these days.
When you think basics : cost of manufacture + taxes + makers profit + shipping cost to retailer + retailers profit + taxes + shipping costs to deliver to buyer
When they retail cheap - that is first warning sign

·
Registered
536 Posts
Certainly cant speak for all, but thus far (admittedly its been less than a year), the Performa's have balanced fine (with minimal weights needed) and appear to continue to maintain their balance. Even had them rechecked once (chasing down vibration issues before I replaced several worn suspension components) and they were still near perfectly balanced after 3-4 months of use. As far as visual, they've only seen rain once or twice and I've kept a coat of wax on them and never use wheel cleaner, only car wash soap. Roads here in VA are generally good to very good so potholes and bad roads arent an issue. But I dont doubt that these are not as strong as OEM. And 30 yrs down the line isnt an option for me (assuming Im even still alive), as I most likely will sell the car in 5 years when its time to retire and relocate south of the border.

In the end, its whatever works for each individual. But, Id definitely buy these wheels again

·
Registered
8,448 Posts
It’s great to have oem
But no need to knock the people buying these replicas
Replica wheel quality today is light years ahead of what was made just 5 years ago

61 - 71 of 71 Posts